Department of biochemistry and Molecular biology
Alicja Bielawska, Ph.D.
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
2001-Present Director, Lipidomics Shared Resources, MUSC
2000-Present HCC Member, MUSC, Charleston, SC
1998-2007 Research Associate Professor , Dept of Biochemistry and
Molecular Biology, MUSC
1993 Assistant Professor, Duke University Medical Center
1990 Postdoctoral Fellow, Duke University Medical Center
1978 Postdoctoral Fellow, Faculte Chimique Univ. P. Sabatier, France
1975 Ph.D., Technical University of Wroclaw, Wroclaw, Poland
1969 M.S., Technical University of Wroclaw, Wroclaw, Poland
Lab: 843-792-7726/ 843-792-8853
Fax: 843-792-6080/ 843-792-1627
Research focuses on lipid synthesis, analysis and therapeutic application of novel bioactive molecules targeting sphingolipid metabolism. Current research interest relates to organelle-targeting sphingolipids and organelle-targeting inhibitors of sphingolipid metabolizing enzymes concentrating on mitochondria and lysosomes. Lipidomics Shared Resource at MUSC, directed by me, provides conceptual and practical training in various aspects of lipidology, qualitative and quantitative analysis of lipid components from different biological materials, synthetic molecular tools to study lipid metabolism and assists investigators in experimental design, selection of lipid of interest and interpretation of the analytical results. Analytical approach is based on High Performance Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) technology.
1. Perera MN, Ganesan V, Siskind LJ, Szulc ZM, Bielawski J, Bielawska A, Bittman R, Columbini M. (2012) Ceramide channels: Influence of molecular structure on channel formation in membranes. Biochim Biophys Acta 1818 (5):1291-1301. PMID: 22365970
2. Perera MN, Lin SH, Peterson YK, Bielawska A, Szulc ZM, Bittman R, Colombini M. (2012) Bax, Bcl-xL exert their regulation on different sites of ceramide channel. Biochem J 445(1):81-91.
3. Separovic D, Nicholas J, Breen P, Bielawski J, Pierce JS, Van Buren E, Bhatti G, Saad ZH, Bai A, Bielawska A. (2011) Combining anticancer agents photodynamic therapy and LCL85 leads to distinct changes in the sphingolipid profile, authophagy, caspase-3 activation in the absence of cell death, and long-term sensitization. Biochemistry and Biophysical Research Communications 409(3):372-377.
4. Hu X, Yang D, Zimmerman M, Liu F, Yang J, Kannan S, Burchert A, Szulc Z, Bielawska A, Ozato K, Bhalla K, Liu K. (2011) IRF8 regulates acid ceramidase expression to mediate apoptosis and suppresses myelogeneous leukemia. Cancer Res 71(8):2882-91. Epub 2011 Apr 12
5. Hou Q, Jin J, Zhou H, Novgorodov SA, Bielawska A, Szulc ZM, Hannun YA, Obeid LM, Hsu YT. (2011) Mitochondrially targeted ceramides preferentially promote autophagy, retard cell growth, and induce apoptosis. J Lipid Res 52(2):278-88. Epub 2010 Nov 16.
6. Separovic D, Saad ZH, Edwin EA, Bielawski J, Pierce JS, Van Buren E, Bielawska A. (2011) C16-ceramide analog combined with Pc4 photodynamic therapy evokes enhanced total ceramide accumulation, promotion of DEVDase activation in the absence of apoptosis, and augmented overall cell killing. J of Lipids 2011:713867.
7. Szulc ZM, Bai A, Bielawski J, Mayroo N, Miller DE, Gracz H, Hannun YA, Bielawska A. (2010) Synthesis, NMR characterization and divergent biological actions of 2-hydroxy-ceramide/dihydroceramide stereoisomers in mCF7 cells. Bioorg Med Chem 18(21):7565-79. Epub 2010 Jul21
8. Hammad SM, Pierce JS, Soodavar F, Smith KJ, Gadhan MM, Rembiesa B, Klein RL, Hannun YA, Bielawski J, Bielawska A. (2010) Blood sphingolipidomics in healthy humans: impact of sample collection methodology. J lipid Research 51(100):3074-87. Epub 2010 Jul 21.
9. Bielawski J, Pierce JS, Snider J, Rembiesa B, Szulc ZM, Bielawska A. (2010) Sphingolipid analysis by high performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (HPLC-MS/MS). Adv Exp Med Biol 688:46-59. Review. PMID: 20919645