MUSC celebrates National Eating Healthy DayTweet
By Susan Johnson
Office of Health Promotion
On Wednesday, November 6, MUSC will celebrate National Eating Healthy Day with the American Heart Association.
On this day, Americans are encouraged to make small, healthy changes and raise the awareness of the importance of good nutrition. Give your family, friends and co-workers a friendly push toward a healthier life. Join in the celebration by submitting a photo of your healthy meal on Nov. 6 MUSC’s My Plate Challenge. Check broadcast messages now through Nov. 6 for healthy eating tips. Participants will be entered into a random drawing to receive one of the following great prizes: $10 gift card for lunch at Verde, a $25 gift certificate for Fields/Pinckney Farm or a $25 gift card from Sodexo for use in MUSC’s cafeterias.
MUSC My Plate Challenge
Two ways to enter: On Nov. 6, post a photo of your healthy lunch (or dinner) on Twitter or Pinterest using hashtag #MUSCeathealthy. Or email a photo of your healthy lunch (or dinner) on Nov. 6 to email@example.com. Include name and phone number for contact information.
- Photos should be submitted only from 12 a.m. to 11:59 p.m., Nov. 6.
- One entry per person.
- Meals should be healthy. Please use the USDA’s MyPlate Guidelines as well as a list of 10 healthy tips for building your healthy lunch/dinner.
- MUSC employees, students and non-employees are welcome to participate.
- MUSC team members will be available in the main hospital and ART cafeterias from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Nov. 6, to take photos and submit entries to the challenge.
- MUSC will post all submitted photos on its Pinterest Board “MUSC Eat Healthy Lunches.
- Five random entries will be chosen to receive a gift certificate from either Verde, Fields/Pinckney Farm or Sodexo.
- Winners will be notified via Twitter@MUSCHealth, Pinterest (via Facebook or Twitter) or by phone or email.
- All winners’ names and lunch photo entries will be posted on MUSC’s Community Blog
Employee XPress Memberships to Wellness Center
- Employees can join a one-year membership for $25 per month with a $15 enrollment fee. In celebration of the Gold Medal Award, the enrollment fee has been waived until Nov. 10. Membership will not extend to spouses or dependents and will be offered during limited hours: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday and 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday; and 6 to 8 p.m., Fridays. The fee can be paid via credit card, check or payroll deduction. Employees may sign up at the Wellness Center membership desk.
Flu shots at Wellness Wednesdays
- Oct. 16: 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., first floor, Ashley River Tower, Oct. 30, Nov. 6, Nov. 13, Nov. 20 and Dec. 4: 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., Children’s Hospital lobby.
Employee Wellness Events
- MUSC Employee Fitness Series: Spin Class, from 12:15 to 12:45 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 20 at the MUSC Wellness Center. This free class will feature a warm-up to sprints and climbs and will be led by fitness expert Katie Blaylock from the MUSC Human Performance Lab. Free day-pass to MUSC Wellness Center for all participants. Free day pass to the Wellness Center for all participants. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- Chair massages: Free massages are offered to employes on Tuesday nights and midday Wednesdays. Details can be found in broadcast messages.
- Worksite screening: The next worksite screening will be held on Nov. 15, at the Wellness Center Auditorium; This screening, valued at approximately $350, is available to employees with the State Health Plan for $15 (covered spouses can also participate for $15). Employees and spouses without this insurance can participate for $42. The screening includes: height, weight, blood pressure and a blood chemistry profile, hemogram, and a blood lipid profile. Optional thyroid panel is available for $10. Add this test by alerting the staff at the screening.To register, go to musc.edu/employee wellness and click Worksite Screening Appointment.
- Farmers markets: Fresh fruits and vegetables are available from local farmers from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Tuesdays in the Harborview Office Tower lobby; from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Wednesday and Thursday at Ashley River Tower; and from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Friday at the Horseshoe. Look for new vendors at the Horseshoe.
MUSC Urban Farm
- Lunch & Learn: The next Lunch and Learn will be held from noon to 1 p.m., Thursdays under the oak tree. The topic is cultivating collards, a Carolina treat.
- Work & Learn: 4 to 5 p.m.,Thursdays
- Work and Learn with child-friendly activities – First and third Saturdays from 9 to 11 a.m., Nov. 2. Bring a plastic bag and take home some fresh produce in return for work efforts or help gather for donations on certain days. No experience or prior knowledge necessary. Open to all MUSC employees and students and the general community. Families welcome on Saturdays.
- Early Bird Maintenance, 7:30 to 8:30 am., Oct. 16.
Contact Johnson at email@example.com for more information on the Office of Health Promotion at MUSC and Suzan Benenson Whelan at firstname.lastname@example.org for specific information about Employee Wellness. Events, speakers, classes or any other ideas are also welcome. Like the Employee Wellness Facebook page and keep up with all the wellness events at MUSC. To receive the weekly newsletters, email a request to email@example.com for Wellness This Week or firstname.lastname@example.org for Friends of the Farm.November 1, 2013