Urban Farm events promote fun, healthy holiday givingTweet
MUSC Office of Health Promotion and Sodexo are hosting the fourth annual “Healthy Holiday Live” on Nov. 22 at noon in the Urban Farm. Our theme this year focuses on tips for creating budget-friendly, healthy holiday meals and celebrations.
A panel of speakers will discuss topics related to healthy holiday cooking, decorating, and gifting on a budget. The main event features live cooking demonstrations by MUSC executive chefs Brett Cunningham, Ferando Middleton and Martin Neely using cost-cutting, healthy ingredients and culinary methods and presenting recipes including grilled turkey cutlets and corn bean relish, apple and raisin stuffing and grilled balsamic zucchini and squash.
Wellness Grab and Go Boxed Lunches — healthy, delicious lunches available for purchase — $5 includes bottled water, while supplies last. Samples and recipes will be provided, and representatives from MUSC and the Charleston community will be available to answer questions and provide information on keeping it low-cost and healthy this holiday season. The MUSC Farmers Market and local businesses will also be on hand, providing low-cost products and services for the holidays and throughout the year.
For the second year, MUSC Urban Farm is promoting the “Make a Wish for a STAR” Gift Program to make holidays a little brighter for some local teens. Each week, students from the Institute of Psychiatry’s STAR Adolescent Day Treatment program visit the Urban Farm for special work and learn sessions as a reward for their accomplishments. For one hour a week, STAR teens get their hands dirty and their minds cleared of some very difficult problems in their daily lives. They can forget about their anger, frustrations, depression, anxiety, and stress and experience the joy of watching things grow.
We would like to do our part to bring a little holiday joy to these students by collecting donations from their “wish lists.” There will be approximately 24 students, ages 13 to 16, from low-income families in the Charleston area who are currently enrolled in the STAR adolescent day program that will be participating in the “Make a Wish” for a STAR Program. Those who would like to give to this worthwhile gift drive can select a star from the Urban Farm Oak Tree and purchase items for a STAR student.
For more information email email@example.com.
Employee Wellness Events
- Healthy Holiday Live, Noon to 1 p.m., Friday, Nov. 22, Urban Farm
- Employees XPRESS membership to the Wellness Center — Employees will be offered a one-year membership for $25 per month with a $15 enrollment fee. The membership will not include spouses or dependents and will be offered during limited hours: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday and 8 p.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Thursday; and 6 to 8 p.m., Fridays. The fee can be paid via credit card, check or payroll deduction. Employees may sign up at the Wellness Center membership desk.
- Flu vaccines will be available during Wellness Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Dec. 4, Children’s Hospital lobby.
MUSC Urban Farm
- Lunch & Learn: The next event will be held from noon to 1 p.m., Dec. 5 under the oak tree. The topic is making a vermicomposting bin.
- Sunset Work & Learn: 4 to 6 p.m., Thursdays. Topic is Light up the Farm
- Work and Learn with child-friendly activities – first and third Saturdays from 9 to 11 a.m., Dec. 7. Bring a plastic bag and take home some fresh produce in return for work efforts or help gather for donations on certain days. No experience or prior knowledge necessary. Open to all MUSC employees, students and the general community.
For information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.November 22, 2013