2013 GME residents receive departmental awardsTweet
Cardiology Fellow of the Year – Brian Flowers, M.D.; Lifetime Achievement Award – Grady Hendrix, M.D.; First-Year EP Fellow – James Merriam, M.D.; EP Fellow of the Year – Navin Nikam, M.D.; VA “Be All You Can Be” – Chetan Patel, M.D., and Monique Sandhu, M.D.; Michael E. Assey Award for Faculty Member of the Year – Eric Powers, M.D.
|Dr. Bill Moran, back left, accepts the Division of the Year General Internal Medicine Award. Dr. Thomas Kyle, back row second from left, receives the Michael E. Assey M.D. Teaching Award. Presenting the awards are Dr. Ben Clyburn and Dr. Don Rockey. Front row from left: Outpatient of the Year, Dr. Jon McGough; Ambulatory Teaching Award, Dr. Sarah Allen; Fellow of the Year, Dr. Linda Meyers; Aging Q3 Award, Dr. Amanda Overstreet; Resident of the Year, Dr. Abby Gass. Not pictured: Intern of the Year, Dr. Elizabeth Kirkland; and Inpatient of the Year, Dr. Nathan Richards.|
2013 David G. Sherman Award – Robert J. Adams, M.D.; Neurology Teaching Faculty of Year voted by the residents – David L. Bachman M.D.; William M. Feinberg Award for Excellence in Clinical Stroke – Marc I. Chimowitz, M.D.; Junior Neurologist Scholarship from the American Neurological Association – Wuwei Feng, M.D.; Faculty Excellence Teacher of the Month Award by the College of Medicine students – Pierre Giglio, M.D.; Outstanding Scientific Achievement in Neuroanatomy – Thomas Jhou, Ph.D.; American College of Physician Fellowship – Amandeep Kalra, M.D.; 2013 Golden Apple nominee and voted for the most winning resident for Teacher of the Month of 9W (graduating resident) – Jason J. Madey, M.D.; Lead author on a recently published study about stroke in TIME Magazine – Bruce Ovbiagele, M.D.; Golden Apple nominee – Robert P. Turner, M.D.
Neuroscience Research Day
Best Case Report – Mohit Datta, M.D.; Best Research in Neurosurgery – Libby Kosnik Infinger, M.D.; Best Overall Presentation – Vibhor Krishna, M.D.; Most Promising Project – Jason Madey, M.D.; Best Research in Neurology – Nolan Williams, M.D.
Coastal Award/L.L. Hester Jr. Award for Academic Achievement – J. Richard Sosnowski, M.D.; Award for Outstanding Achievement in OB and Humanism – Angela Choi, M.D.; ACOG/CREOG Award and APGO Award – Angela Dempsey, M.D.; Hal Rubel – James Hunter, M.D.; Administrative Chief Award and The H. Oliver Williamson Award for Excellence in Gynecology and J. Marion Sims Award for Surgical Excellence and SLS Combined – Carlton Schwab, M.D.; PVD Award – David Soper, M.D.
Storm Eye Institute Program Director’s Award – Edward Croswell, M.D.; Ophthalmic Technician of the Year – Temis Stefanini-Hellberger; COT Pierre Gautier Jenkins Award for Resident Teaching – Lynn Poole-Perry, M.D.; William W. Vallotton Award for Academic Excellence – Andrew Reynolds, M.D.; Helma Award for the Best Research Project – Tyson Ward, M.D.
Alumnus of the Year – Richard Bowles, M.D.; 2013 AOA-OREF Resident Leadership nominee – Taylor Horst, M.D.; John A. Siegling Teaching Award – John Martell, M.D.; First place for Outstanding Research – Harris Slone, M.D.; Highest Orthopaedic In Training exam and second place for Outstanding Research Paper – Zeke Walton, M.D.
Pathology, Laboratory Medicine
Chief resident 2012-2013 – Evelyn Bruner, M.D., and Emily Ogden, M.D.; House Staff Award for Clinical Pathology Faculty – Jerry Squires, M.D., Ph.D.; House Staff Award for Anatomic Pathology Faculty – Shaoli Sun, M.D.; Committees: 2012-2013 MUSC House Staff Peer Review Committee – Natalie Mason, M.D., Tom Soike, M.D., and Tripp Tracy, M.D.
Rookie of the Year (Best New Faculty) – David Bundy, M.D.; Intern of the Year – Courtney Gregg, M.D.; Intern of the Year – Emma Carter, M.D.; Senior of the Year – Christina Cochran, M.D.; Nine-to-Five Socrates (Best Outpatient Educator) – Terry Dixon, M.D., and David Bundy, M.D.; Most Supportive Staff Member – Anita Shuler; The Atlas Award (Most Supportive Faculty) – David Mills, M.D.; Around-the-Clock Aristotle (Best Inpatient Educator) – David Mills, M.D.; The Bob Villa Award (Best Procedural Teacher) – Melissa Evans, M.D.; The Sunrise Swami (Best Morning Report Educator) – David Sas, DO; The PM Pedagogue (Best Noon Conference Educator) – Sandra Fowler, M.D.; Fellow of the Year – Dan Park, M.D.
Psychiatry, Behavioral Sciences
- Psychiatry Golden Apple Award – Outstanding Medical Student Teaching by a Faculty Member – Kelly Barth, DO; Outstanding Medical Student Teaching by a Resident – Ben Kalivas, M.D.; Outstanding Medical Student Teaching by a Voluntary Faculty Member – Michael Kassur, M.D.; In recognition of contribution to teaching – Christenna Kindt; Outstanding Medical Student Didactic Teaching – Lee Lewis, M.D.; Outstanding Medical Teaching By a Faculty Member – Christopher Pelic, M.D.; Outstanding Medical Didactic Teaching – Maggie Pierson, M.D.; Outstanding Medical Student Teaching by a Resident – Maggie Wilkes, M.D.
Dr. Edward Kantor, second from left, and Dr. David Beckert, center, present the JJ Cleckley awards to the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences’ Drs. Erin Seery, left, Amanda Roten and Robert Glenn.
- Psychology faculty to interns awards: Clinical Excellence Award – Jennifer Sumner; John C. Roitzsch Memorial Scientist-Practitioner Award – Nicholas Heck
- Laura Griffin Humanitarian Award – Rachel Hershenberg
- Robert Magwood Jr. Crime Victims Service Award – Kristen Shealy
- Psychology Interns Outstanding Clinical Supervisor Awards: Outstanding Clinical Director and Student Liaison – Dan Smith; Most Unique Training Experience Presented to Community Outreach Program – Esperanza
- J. J. Cleckley Clinical Excellence Awards – Robert Glenn, M.D., Erin Seery, M.D., and Amanda Roten, M.D.
- Laughlin Psychiatric Endowment Fund Awards – Erin Seery, M.D., and Amanda Roten, M.D.
- APA Resident Recognition Award – Maggie Wilkes, M.D.
- Psychiatry residents to faculty awards: Outstanding Career Mentor for the Class of 2013 – Kelly S. Barth, D.O.; PGY 3 Outpatient Supervisor of the Year – Alvaro Giraldo, M.D.; PGY I Clinical Teacher of the Year – Rabiya Hasan, M.D.; PGY 2 Outstanding Didactic Teacher of the Year – Alyssa Rheingold, Ph.D.; PGY I Outstanding Didactic Teacher of the Year – Libby Riddle; PGY 3 Outstanding Didactic Teacher of the Year – Nancy J. Warren, Ph.D.; PGY 2 Clinical Teacher of the Year – Tara M. Wright, M.D.
- Child fellow to faculty awards – Outstanding Didactic Teaching in the Child and Adolescent Fellowship – Timothy Brewerton, M.D.; Psychiatry Golden Apple Award, Outstanding Clinical Training in the Child and Adolescent Fellowship – Rabiya Hasan, M.D.
American College of Medical Quality National Scholar Award (Diagnostic Radiology Resident) – Michael Aho, M.D.; ‘Best Scientific Presentation’ in the Diagnostic Section for “Thoracic Cuvature Shape and Thoracic Kyphotic Angle in Elder Women Without Vertebral Compression Fracture: Biomechanical Implications” at the Symposium of the American Society
of Spine Radiology (neuroradiology fellow) – Jacob Enterkin, M.D.; Lucy Frank Squire Distinguished Resident Award in Diagnostic Radiology (diagnostic radiology resident) – Gayatri Joshi, M.D.
Intern of the Year Award – Nima Baradaran, M.D., and Elizabeth S. Godshall, M.D.; Student Award for Excellence in Resident Teaching – Bennett W. Calder, M.D.; Resident Teaching Awards – E. Ramsay Camp, M.D., and Mark A. Lockett, M.D.; Research Award – Shaina R. Eckhouse, M.D.; David J. Cole, M.D., Professionalism Award – William P. Lancaster, M.D.; Surgical Training Awareness & Residency (STAR) and Medical Student Faculty Teaching Award – Joseph V. Sakran, M.D.July 17, 2013