By Susan Johnson, Ph.D.
Office of Health Promotion director
Looking to lose a little holiday weight, fulfill a New Year’s resolution to get fit and eat better or need a total body makeover? Whatever your reasons, if you are ready to make your health a priority, we’ve got the tools to start the year off right.
A variety of resources are available for MUSC employees and students, offered at convenient times and locations and either free or for a reduced rate.From lunch and learn events focusing on healthy eating and active living to weight loss challenges and special employee fitness classes and memberships, the MUSC Office of Health Promotion is committed to helping the entire MUSC community get fit and healthy for life.
In addition to the programs listed below, be sure to watch broadcast messages for daily tips that will help us stick to our goals for a healthier 2014.
- Meal Planning Lunch and Learn — Quick and Easy: How to balance meals/snacks for ideal nutrition and ideas for healthy cooking; 12:15 to 12:45 p.m., Jan. 22, Colbert Library room EL102 or via Adobe Connect, https://connect.musc.edu/meal_planning/. Email email@example.com to register
- Mindful by Sodexo: A new approach to healthy eating offered at the main and ART cafeterias. The Mindful approach helps people make healthy choices with satisfying flavors, full plates, etc. Look for the green apple icon and promotions.
- Farmers Markets: Fresh fruits and vegetables are available from local farmers 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Tuesdays, Harborview Office Tower; 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Wednesdays and Thursdays, ART; 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Fridays, Horseshoe.
- Employee XPRESS membership to MUSC Wellness Center: Employees will be offered a one–year membership (no spouses or dependents) for $25 per month ($15 enrollment fee). Workouts during limited hours, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., weekdays; 8 to 10 p.m., Monday to Thursday and 6 to 8 p.m., Friday. Register at the Wellness Center membership desk.
- MUSC Employee Wellness Fitness Series developed a free walking group program for employees and students to make it easier to stay motivated while meeting health and fitness goals. For maps and info on joining a walking group, visit http://mcintranet.musc.edu/employeewellness/.
- Walking Program: MUSC Employee Wellness has developed a free walking group program for employees and students to make it easier to stay motivated while meeting health and fitness goals. For maps and info on joining a walking group, visit http://mcintranet.musc.edu/employeewellness/.
- MUSC Fitness Park: The MUSC Fitness Park, part of the Greenberg Greenway, is now open and available to use. A workout designed to take just eight minutes was developed by the MUSC Wellness Center instructors and can be downloaded at http://mcintranet.musc.edu/employeewellness/events.htm.
Other Employee Wellness
- Worksite screening: The next worksite screening will be held from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m., Jan. 24, EL–102. This screening, valued at about $350, is available to employees of the State Health Plan (including the MUSC Health Plan) for only $15 (covered spouses also can participate for $15). Employees and spouses without this insurance can participate for $42. To register, go to www.musc.edu/employeewellness.
- Chair massages: Free massages are offered to employees on Tuesday nights and midday Wednesdays. Look for broadcast messages for locations and times.
MUSC Urban Farm
- Sessions are open to all, no prior experience required
- Winter Lunch and Learn — Topic: New Year Legends, 12 to 1 p.m., Jan. 22
- Sunset Work & Learn, 4 to 5 p.m., Jan. 22
- Early bird maintenance — Wednesdays 7:30 to 8:30 a.m., Jan. 22