Lowcountry Food Day Crawl and Urban Farm Peanut PartyTweet
In celebration of National Food Day on Oct. 24, Lowcountry organizations are coming together to offer an array of opportunities to celebrate healthy, local food. All events are open to the public and family friendly. The “Lowcountry Food Day Crawl” will kick off with a screening of the documentary, “Soul Food Junkies” hosted by MUSC Urban Farm and Slow Food Charleston. Inspired by his own family’s complex relationship with “soul food” — fried chicken, ribs, macaroni and cheese, peach cobbler, and the whole panoply of down-home foods made with grease, sugar, and love — acclaimed filmmaker Byron Hurt asks whether this diet is nurturing or destroying the African American community. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrJwsyH8z2o&feature=share&list=UUeF0m0SFYEqceOfl72faQ9g
Where: Cinebarre Mt. Pleasant
Tickets: $5 suggested donation with proceeds to benefit the Lowcountry Food Bank. Seating is limited so register today at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/soul-food-junkies-documentary-screeninglowcountry-food-day-kick-off-tickets-13048415161
When: 5:30pm – 8:30pm. Reception begins at 5:30pm with complementary snacks and drink specials available for purchase at the bar. Food Day partners will be on hand and attendees are encouraged to bring non-perishable food items to support Lowcountry Food Bank. Screening begins at 6:30pm with a panel discussion immediately following at 7:45pm.
The Crawl will continue on Friday with various activities throughout the area. Attendees are encouraged to participate in the scavenger hunt for a chance to win prizes (must be present at Charleston Farmers Market on Saturday to collect prizes). Schedule of Events:
9 a.m. to 1p.m. - Cooking Matters Grocery Store Tours at several area BiLo locations, hosted by Lowcountry Food Bank, SCAND, Trident Dietetic Association and Les Dames d'Escoffier.
10 to 11:30 a.m. - Crop Mob hosted by Lowcountry Local First at Dirt Works Incubator Farm on Johns Island.
11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. - All Locally Sourced Lunch hosted by ARAMARK Dining Services, College of Charleston Office of Sustainability and GrowFood Carolina at City Bistro Dining Hall, 80 St. Philip Street.
11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. - MUSC Urban Farm Food Day Peanut Party hosted by MUSC Office of Health Promotion and Sodexo at the corner of Bee & President Street on the MUSC Campus.
What: As part of the Lowcountry Food Day Crawl, we are hosting an event at the MUSC Urban Farm on Friday, October 24th. In addition to the following activities, we will also have local artist Everett White entertaining participants with Performance Art as well as helping children paint rain barrels donated to MUSC, Sullivan’s Island Elementary School and Ashley Hall by Coca-Cola and several food vendors offering healthy lunches and snacks.
Schedule of Events
11:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. - Self-guided farm tours
12 p.m. – Reading of Food Day Proclamation by Councilman Mike Seekings
12:05 p.m. to12:30 p.m.– Cooking Demo and Tasting, featuring Chef Bob Tremayne and MUSC Dietitian Debbie Petitpain
12:30 to 12:45 p.m. – MUSC Culinary Competition judging & awards
12:45 to 1p.m. – Louie’s Kids/Healthy Sprout Juicing Demo/Tasting
1 to 1:30pm - Celebrity “Build a Better Peanut Butter Bird Feeder” Contest
1:30pm – Bird Feeder judging and awards
4 to 6 p.m. - Food Day Trick or Treat in the Park hosted by City of Charleston Recreation Department, Lighten Up Charleston and MUSC Dietetic Interns in Hampton Park.
5 to 7 p.m. Slow Sips Food Day Happy Hour hosted by Slow Food Charleston, Taco Boy and Green Heart at Taco Boy, 217 Huger Street.
The Lowcountry Food Day Crawl Finale will be held at the Charleston Farmers Market on Saturday, October 25th from 8am – 1pm. Stop by the tent hosted by Lighten Up Charleston for a meet and greet with organizers and learn about more opportunities to connect to health-promoting resources in our community. Food Day Crawl participants who have correct answers to 2 or more scavenger hunt questions will get to pick a prize from our “grab bag”. Participants who have answered all questions correctly will be entered into a drawing for a grand prize (TBD).
MUSC Employee Wellness Events:
- Take the monthly mindful challenge and be eligible for prizes by completing a short survey at the beginning and end of the month. One employee will be featured in our “spotlight on wellness” column in the Catalyst. The October challenge is to change it up: explore something new ~ take a new route! To begin, take the first October Monthly Mindful Challenge survey at http://tinyurl.com/ok8gk5t. A link to the final survey will be sent at month’s end to those who take the first survey.
- Soul Food Junkies Screening at Cinebarre Mt. Pleasant – kickoff to Lowcountry Food Day Crawl, Oct. 23. Tickets: $5 suggested donation with proceeds to benefit the Lowcountry Food Bank. Seating is limited so register today http://tinyurl.com/lg8625x
- MUSC Urban Farm Food Day Peanut Party: October 24, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Urban Farm Food Day Peanut Culinary Contest - Start your ovens or keep it raw, to create your favorite dish utilizing peanuts in some way. We are looking for recipes that are healthy and use “read food” ingredients. Prepared goods will be judged based on taste, appearance, and nutritional value. Submit your recipes to email@example.com by 5p.m., Friday Oct. 17 to be entered in the contest. You must drop off your prepared peanut goodies at the MUSC Urban Farm (located on the corner of President & Bee Street) by 12 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 24. One first place prize $50 on your MUSC badge. One second place prize Urban Farm tee shirt. See the MUSC Urban Farm Facebook page for complete details.
- Worksite Screening: Thursday, Oc. 23 in Wellness Center Auditorium. This screening, valued at about $350, is available to employees with the State Health Plan (including MUSC Health Plan) for only $15 (covered spouses can also participate for $15). Employees and spouses without this insurance can participate for $42. The screening includes: height, weight, blood pressure and a blood draw for a blood chemistry profile, hemogram, and a blood lipid profile. Optional thyroid panel is available for $10. Add this test by alerting the staff at the screening. To register, go to http://www.musc.edu/employeewellness and click "Worksite Screening Appointment”
- Chair massages: Free massages are offered to employees midday Wednesdays. Check broadcast messages for locations and times.
- Farmers Markets: Fresh fruits and vegetables are available from local farmers Friday from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Horseshoe. New vendor Freeman Produce.
MUSC Urban Farm:
- Midday Work and Learn – Tuesdays, 12:15 to 12:45p.m.
- Early Bird Maintenance Wednesday, 7:30 to 8:30 a.m.
- Sunset Work & Learns – Thursdays, 4 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- First and third Saturdays, Family-friendly work and learn, Oct. 18, 9 to 11:00 a.m.
October 17, 2014