Employee Wellness - FreshXpress offers quick, healthy optionsTweet
By Susan Johnson, Ph.D.,
Office of Health Promotion director
Fresh Xpress Sodexo has rolled out a new mobile food kiosk to feed MUSC, thus expanding the options for quick, healthy and affordable food. Fresh Xpress made its debut on Sept. 24.
Some of the specials featured from the cart on the inaugural day included a honey pecan turkey and arugula flatbread, chilled peanut noodle salad and twisted beef and horseradish wrap. MUSC dietetic interns were available to direct customers to the cart, pass out coupons and answer questions.
Fresh Xpress will be available Monday through Friday and will be parked in different locations throughout the week. To find out where, follow MUSC Food and Nutrition on Facebook or Twitter @MUSC_FaN. Fresh Xpress accepts cash or credit card (no badges).
The menu features Mindful choices. Mindful by Sodexo is designed to help make healthy lifestyle choices second nature. It focuses on nutritious ingredients, appealing flavors and satisfying portions. Items with the Mindful logo have meet specified criteria for calories, sodium, fat and nutrients.
Fresh Xpress will serve lunch from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., offering salads, sandwiches, snacks and other delicious grab-and-go items. It will also be by the bus stop on Jonathan Lucas in the morning hours serving a variety of breakfast items and fresh coffee. To share suggestions on what should be offered, tweet @MUSC_FaN or write on the wall of the MUSC Food and Nutrition Facebook page.
- Take the monthly Mindful Challenge and be eligible for prizes by completing a short survey at the beginning and end of the month. The October challenge is to change it up: explore something new —take a new route. Take the first October Monthly Mindful Challenge survey at http://tinyurl.com/ok8gk5t. A link to the final survey will be sent at month’s end to those who take the first survey.
- MUSC Employee Fitness Series: Strength and Conditioning, Wednesday, Oct. 15, 4:15 to 4:45pm at the MUSC Fitness Park (behind Drug Discovery on the grass), weather permitting. Take 30 minutes to tone and strengthen lean muscles along with a cardiovascular workout. This class will be led by Katie Blaylock of the MUSC Human Performance Lab. Free day pass to MUSC Wellness Center for all participants. Email email@example.com.
- The Hollings Cancer Center Mobile Health Van will be located behind the Clyburn Research Plaza performing digital mammograms for MUSC employees on Wednesday, Oct. 15. Call, 792-0878 to schedule an appointment.
- Worksite Screening: Thursday, Oct. 23, Wellness Center Auditorium. This screening, valued at about $350, is available to employees with the State Health Plan (including MUSC Health Plan) for only $15 (covered spouses can also participate for $15). Employees and spouses without this insurance can participate for $42.To register, go to www.musc.edu/employeewellness and click "Worksite Screening Appointment”
- Chair massages: Free massages are offered to employees midday Wednesdays.
- Farmers Markets: Fresh fruits and vegetables are available from local farmers on Fridays from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Horseshoe. New vendor Freeman Produce.
MUSC Urban Farm
- Midday Work and Learn – Tuesdays, 12:15-12:45p.m. beginning Oct. 7
- Early Bird Maintenance Wednesday, 7:30 to 8:30 a.m.
- 1st Thursday Lunch and Learn, October 2, 12:15-12:45p.m. Topic: Flu Fighter Foods
- Sunset Work & Learns – Thursdays, 4 to 5 p.m
- 1st and 3rd Saturdays, Family-friendly work and learn, October 4 and Oct. 18, 9 to 11 a.m.
For information, contact Dr. Susan Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org or Suzann Whelan at email@example.com.October 2, 2014