Light Up the Farm and Make a Wish for a STAR Nov. 20Tweet
by Susan Johnson, Ph.D.,
director of Health Promotion
The MUSC Urban Farm invites the community to participate in the second annual “Light up the Farm” Sunset Work and Learn on Thursday, Nov. 20 from 4 to 6 p.m. Help string lights and decorations while enjoying holiday music, refreshments and fellowship. This event is free and open to the public.
For the third year, MUSC Urban Farm is promoting the “Make a Wish for a STAR” gift program to make holidays a little brighter for some local teens. Each week students from the Institute of Psychiatry’s STAR Adolescent Day Treatment program visit the Urban Farm for special work & learn sessions as a reward for their accomplishments. For one hour a week, STAR teens get their hands dirty and their minds cleared of some very difficult problems in their daily lives. They can forget about their anger, frustrations, depression, anxiety and stress and experience the joy of watching things grow. We would like to do our part to bring a little holiday joy to these students by collecting donations from their “wish lists”. There will be approximately 24 students, aged 13-16 who are currently enrolled in the STAR adolescent day program who will be participating in the “Make a Wish” for a STAR Program. Those who would like to give to this worthwhile gift drive can select a star from the Urban Farm Oak Tree and purchase items for a STAR student.
For more information on the “Light up the Farm” event or “Make a Wish for a Star” gift program, please email email@example.com.
- Mindful Combo Contest — Purchase a Mindful Combo Meal until Nov. 14 and you’ll be entered to win your choice of a Clemson or Carolina Fan Kit. The kit features a choice of a Clemson or South Carolina Cut Out and team counter cooler. Combo must include Coca-Cola Zero or other Coke products or a Dasani Water. Submit your receipt into the entry box (including name and email). A winner will be chosen Nov. 17.
- The November challenge is to Release the Tension. Begin by taking the Monthly Mindful Challenge survey at http://tinyurl.com/n62q9uq. A link to the final survey will be sent at month’s end to those who take the first survey.
- Location change for the next Worksite Screening — set for Monday, Nov. 17 at Hollings Cancer Center auditorium, Room 120. This screening, valued at about $350, is available to employees with the State Health Plan (including MUSC Health Plan) for only $15 (covered spouses can participate for $15). Employees and spouses without this insurance can participate for $42. Screening includes height, weight, blood pressure, blood draw (blood chemistry profile, hemogram and blood lipid profile).Register at www.musc.edu/employeewellness and click “Worksite Screening Appointment.”
- MUSC Employee Fitness Series Class — Yoga, 12:15 to 12:45 p.m., Nov. 19 at the Wellness Center. Free pass to MUSC Wellness Center for all participants. To register, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Chair massages — Free massages are offered to employees midday Wednesdays. Check broadcast messages for locations and times.
- Farmers Market — Fresh fruits and vegetables are available from local farmers Friday from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Horseshoe.
- Flu Shot Satellite clinics will be held —
- Noon to 4 p.m., Nov. 13, Rutledge Tower, room 280J; 8 a.m. to Noon, Nov. 18 at Children’s Hospital, room 7033; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Dec. 6, 2 West Classroom and 6 to 10 p.m., 2West Classroom.
MUSC Urban Farm
- Midday Work and Learn — Tuesdays, 12:15 to 12:45 p.m.
- First and third Saturdays: Family-friendly work and learn — 9 to 11 a.m., Nov. 15.
For more information about wellness events and the MUSC Urban Farm, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.December 11, 2014