Employee Wellness - Fried Free FridaysTweet
The month of February is National Heart Month for heart health awareness.
To support the mission of the American Heart Association, every Friday in February will be a “Fried Free Friday.” Instead of typical fried foods, the cafeteria will have delicious substitutions from our “Mindful” menu. As a health care institution, it is our mission to provide a health promoting environment for all who work, study and visit MUSC. By providing alternatives once a week we encourage heart healthy, delicious choices through Sodexo’s Mindful options. The goal of this initiative is not to remove choice but to provide healthier options and incentives to help guide customers who are interested in a healthy lifestyle.
Follow these tips to make the most of Fried Free Fridays:
- Change your habits. The best way to avoid saturated or trans fats is to change your lifestyle practices.
- Substitute. Swap out high-fat foods for their lower-fat counterparts. Try baked options like the baked sweet potato fries instead of French fries.
- Limit solid fat. Reduce the amount of solid fats like butter, margarine, or shortening you add to food. Ask that sauces or dressings be put on the side—or left off altogether.
Beware of restaurant portions. Portions served in restaurants are often larger than anyone needs. Consider taking part of your meal home for tomorrow’s lunch.
- Last Wednesday Walk 12:30 to 1 p.m., Feb. 26. Meet at the MUSC Fitness Park (grassy area behind Drug Discovery building, adjacent to MUSC Urban Farm), walk the MUSC Medical Mile (If weather is bad, meet indoors at Colbert Library, second floor, top of stairs).
- Worksite screening: The next worksite screening will be held March 21, Gazes Building Auditorium, room 125, valued at about $350, is available to employees of the State Health Plan (including the MUSC Health Plan) for only $15 (covered spouses also can participate for $15). Employees and spouses without this insurance can participate for $42. To register, go to www.musc.edu/employeewellness.
- February Monthly Mindful Challenge — Exercising Your Heart: Take the stairs or the long way around to your workplace and during the day be sure to get up from the desk hourly for some purposeful movement to decrease the risk of heart disease. Employees who choose to participate in the challenge will be eligible for prizes by completing a short survey at the beginning and end of the month. One employee will be featured each month in our “spotlight on wellness” feature in the Catalyst. Take the first February Monthly Mindful Challenge survey at https://redcap.musc.edu/surveys/?s=PEZJZ5ebo9. Final survey will be sent via email at the end of the month.
- Mindful by Sodexo — Offered at Main and ART cafeterias. Throughout February, diners may enter a chance to win two first place prizes ($50 meal card) or two seconhe entrees (a winner from each cafeteria). Purchase any of the daily Mindful entrees in the cafeteria, write your name on the back of the receipt and drop it into the contest box. Multiple entries are allowed. Each week during Heart Month, the cafeterias will support the health of our employees through “Fried Free Fridays.”
- Chair massages: Free massages are offered to employees on midday Wednesdays. Look for broadcast messages for locations and times.
- Farmers Markets: Enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables from local farmers on Tuesdays, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Harborview); Wednesdays and Thursdays, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (ART); and Fridays, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Horseshoe).
For information on MUSC wellness events, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.February 21, 2014