MUSC Employee Wellness - Push-Up & Up ChallengeTweet
By Susan Johnson, Ph.D.,
Office of Health Promotion director
The Push–Up & Up Challenge is a Charleston event developed to raise awareness and money for Communities in Schools dropout prevention. Sponsored by the Medical University of South Carolina, the 3rd annual Push–Up & Up Challenge Charleston will be held on Saturday, May 17 at Marion Square in Downtown Charleston. The first pushups are set to begin at 9:20 a.m. This fun, family–friendly event is a healthy fundraiser like no other in town.
Teams of six from the Tri–county community will battle to complete as many pushups as possible in 30 minutes. There are three divisions: Competitive, Open and School. The school division will compete for 20 minutes and includes middle and high school students from any of the public and private schools in the Tri–county area. Anyone can compete in the competitive and open divisions, which only differ in judging strictness.
As presenting sponsor, MUSC Health’s role in the Push–Up & Up Challenge isn’t just monetary. Our role is to support the mission to raise awareness and money to support proven programs in dropout prevention. In 2014, our goal is to have as many employee teams as possible! To help with this effort — and to help our employees train for the big event May 17 — we are hosting a special pushup challenge for MUSC employees.
The MUSC Push–Up & Up Challenge is a friendly competition to get MUSC employees involved in the challenge to support dropout prevention, while enjoying a fun and healthy activity with their coworkers.
To join the MUSC Push–Up and Up Challenge:
- Start a team: Teams of 6 people will sign up for the Push–Up & Up Challenge at www.pushupandup.org. The first person to sign up will create the team and be designated as Team Captain. Be sure “MUSC” is somewhere in the team name (This will qualify the team for the MUSC Push–Up & Up Challenge prizes).
- Start Fundraising: Use the tools provided on the Push–Up & Up website to request donations from friends and family. Prizes will be awarded for the team with the most donations and all money raised goes to a great cause benefiting Lowcountry kids.
- Start Training: The MUSC Push–Up & Up Challenge will start March 31, 6 weeks prior to the main event to allow for teams to follow the easy challenge training schedule (found at http://tinyurl.com/oohnv9s)
- Use Team Building: Hold team training sessions to help motivate participation, accomplish training goals and prepare for the big event. Take a picture of a team training session each week, email a photo (of either individuals or entire team training for the Push–Up Challenge) and the number of pushups completed that week to email@example.com by 3 p.m. each Friday of the training challenge.
- Win Prizes: Winners will be selected and announced the following Monday and each member of the weekly winning team will win a prize as well as receive recognition on MUSC Employee Wellness Facebook Pages and in The Catalyst. Prize sponsors include Sodexo, Halo, the Charleston RiverDogs, Charleston Battery, MUSC Office of Health Promotion and Life Chiropractic Center.
Push–Up & Up is a nonprofit organization that raises money to support proven programs in dropout prevention. For more information on team sponsorships or to register for Push–Up & Up, visit http://www.pushupandup.org.
To learn more about Communities in Schools, visit http://www.cischarleston.org.
For information on MUSC wellness events, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Events, speakers, classes or any ideas are welcome. Visit them on Facebook.