Letter from the Interim President: Strategic Plan for Diversity and InclusionTweet
Dear MUSC Family:
As part of our ongoing efforts to ensure excellence throughout MUSC, leaders from across the University have been preparing a Strategic Plan for Diversity and Inclusion (SPD&I). This plan is an exciting extension of initiatives that have been underway for a number of years at MUSC. The final plan will represent a collection of efforts that will enhance diversity and inclusion, while ensuring that all sectors of the institution are involved.
A few of the very positive foundations that have been taking place at MUSC are:
- The university is expanding its curriculum to afford an education and training in diversity, inclusion, and interprofessional collaboration for every first–year student in all colleges.
- The MUHA task force for D&I has submitted recommendations to the MUHA CEO resulting in a national search for a chief diversity officer for the hospital and recruitment is currently underway.
- MUSC–Physicians has incorporated D&I training into its orientation for all new hires.
- The Division of Finance & Administration has provided numerous employee forums focused on respect in the workplace and has conducted training and discussion groups for staff.
Our SPD&I will build upon this momentum, and I am pleased to announce that we are working to engage everyone in the MUSC family to be part of this important work. This is the first time we have undertaken such a comprehensive strategic plan for this purpose and in my role as interim president, I am committed to its significance and success. I will serve as chair of this process along with two co–chairs, Willette Burnham, Ph.D., in the University, and Joan Herbert in MUHA.
Presently we are forming D&I interprofessional working groups to develop plans for addressing five key areas for improvement. Each group will focus on direct applications across our three core missions of education, research and clinical care:
- Education and Training
- Metrics and Outcomes
- Engagement and Inclusion
- Communications and Community Outreach
I am confident that we will have very successful outcomes with this shared vision and commitment. I look forward to providing updates on the progress of each group as the works moves forward.
As always, thank you for the work you do each day to change what is possible!
Mark S. Sothmann, Ph.D.,
Vice President for Academic Affairs & Provost