Celebrity chef series features local talentTweet
Sodexo and the Office of Health Promotion are launching a culinary series that will feature a collaboration between local chefs and Sodexo chefs to promote healthy versions of popular restaurant dishes. Each quarter, a Celebrity Chef or local restaurant will partner with Sodexo chefs and Wellness dietitian Debbie Petitpain to select a dish that features culinary talents and local produce and meets Mindful criteria for calories, fat, sodium and cholesterol.
The first event is scheduled from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Wednesday, July 16 at World Cuisine in the Main Hospital Cafeteria. Join Chef Lily Lei from Lee Lee’s Hot Kitchen as she and Sodexo chefs prepare the Mindful version of her Chicken Kung Pao with rice and kale salad. Lei will be available to answer questions, provide short cooking demonstrations and offer free samples.
Recipe cards will be available. In addition, this special will be available for purchase: Chicken Kung Pao with rice and kale salad — $3.69 or Tofu Kung Pao with rice and kale salad — $2.69. Make it a combo meal — add a 20 oz. bottled water to either for $1.25. In addition, MUSC employees and students can enjoy a 10 percent discount at Lee Lee’s Hot Kitchen, 218 President Street, from July 14 to July 18 with their ID badge. Visit http://leeleeshotkitchen.com to see their menu, hours and catering services.
The fall Celebrity Chef Series is scheduled for Nov. 5 and will feature Chef Marvin Woods who will be visiting Charleston for the Cooking Well Invitational.
To learn more about Woods and this event, visit http://www.scha.org/cooking-well-invitational.
- Take the July Mindful Challenge —The July challenge is to eat less processed: Reconnect with real food. To begin, take the first July Monthly Mindful Challenge survey at http://tinurl.com/la6drdo (A link to final surey will be sent at month’s end to those who take the first survey).
- July 16 — University Hospital Cafeteria: Celebrity Chef Series: Chef Lily Lei from Lee Lee’s Hot Kitchen and Sodexo chefs prepare the mindful version of her Chicken Kung Pao with rice and kale salad. Samples provided from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Sodexo is bringing a new, mobile food cart to MUSC. We just don’t know what to name this mobile cafe so make a suggestion and you’ll be entered in a drawing for a chance to earn $50 on your badge for the cafeterias and mobile food cart. Visit http://muschealth.com/nutrition.
- Red Cross Blood Drives on MUSC campus — Summer months are a crucial time for blood donations and the bloodmobile will be at the MUSC horseshoe several times throughout the month (visit from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., July 16, July 23 and July 30). Walk–ins are welcome and appointments are available at http://wwwredcrossblood.org. Enter sponsor code: MUSC.
- Employee Fitness Series — Exercise Bands from 12:15 to 12:45 p.m. July 16. Class will be led by fitness expert Katie Blaylock, MUSC Human Performance Lab. Free day pass to MUSC Wellness Center for all participants. Participants should check in at the Wellness Center membership desk for directions and free class and receive their pass. Email email@example.com to register.
- Worksite screening — July 18, University hospital, 2W Classroom.The screening, valued at about $350, is available to employees of the State Health Plan (including the MUSC Health Plan) for only $15 (covered spouses also can participate for $15). Employees and spouses without this insurance can participate for $42. Register at www.musc.edu/employeewellness.
- Fight for Air Climb Charleston — Saturday, July 26, North Charleston Coliseum participants choose between the Climb (1,500 steps and higher), the Ultra Climb (5,000 steps and higher) or the Firefighter Challenge (firefighters climb more than 1,500 steps in full gear with the option of on–air or air–off). Practices held from 5:30 to 7 p.m., July 15 and from 8 to 9 a.m., July 19, North Charleston Coliseum. Register at www.climbcharleston.org or call 556-8451
- Chair massages: Free massages are offered to employees on midday Wednesdays. Look for broadcast messages for locations and times.
- Farmers Markets: Enjoy fruits and vegetables from local farmers — Tuesdays, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Harborview); Wednesdays and Thursdays, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (ART); and Fridays, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Horseshoe).
Urban Farm (Summer)
- Sunset Work & Learn, 4 to 5 p.m., Take home some fresh produce in return for work efforts on the farm. Open to MUSC employees, students and the community.
- Third Thursday Lunch and Learn — 12:15 to 12:45 p.m. Stay as long as your schedule permits
- Third Saturday Family–friendly work and learn — 9 to 11 a.m., July 19. Bring a plastic bag and take home fresh produce in return for your work efforts on the farm.
- Early bird maintenance — Wednesday, 7:30 to 8:30 a.m.
For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org in or Suzan B. Whelan, email@example.com.July 10, 2014