Farm hand volunteer training offered at Urban FarmTweet
by Susan Johnson, Ph.D.,
Office of Health Promotion director
Master gardeners and novices alike are invited to attend the upcoming Farm Hand training at the MUSC Urban Farm (near corner of Bee and President Streets) on Saturday, Oct. 4 from 9-10 a.m. Farm Hands are volunteers who participate in MUSC Urban Farm activities on a more regular basis and have received an orientation to the workings of the Farm. Once trained, Farm Hands can assist on the farm by hosting scheduled groups, farm management as well as day-to-day activities such as maintenance, watering and weeding. The level of commitment expected from the Farm Hands is flexible, and can be customized to fit most schedules. Assistance at upcoming events such as Food Day beginning Thursday, Oct. 23 to Friday, Oct. 24 is also a great opportunity to participate and doesn’t even require getting your hands dirty. Volunteers are an important ingredient to ensure the long-term success of the MUSC Urban Farm, and aid in fulfilling its mission of “growing Connections ~ Harvesting Health.” To register, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Training is at no cost and no prior experience is required.
MUSC Employee Wellness Events:
- Take the monthly mindful challenge and be eligible for prizes by completing a short survey at the beginning and end of the month. One employee will be featured in the “spotlight on wellness” column in the Catalyst (with their consent). The September challenge is to take a walk, indoors or out, during the work day. To begin, take the first September Monthly Mindful Challenge survey at http://tinyurl.com/omfw3vb. A link to the final survey will be sent at month’s end to those who take the first survey.
- Chair massages: Free massages are offered to employees midday Wednesdays. Check broadcast messages for locations and times.Wellness Wednesday Walk and Learn – 12:15 to 12:45 p.m., Sept. 24, led by Debbie Petitpain, RDN, “The Mediterranean diet: it’s delicious but is it nutritious?” Meet at the Colbert Library second floor, top of the staircase for this meeting and walk the indoor Wellness Walk while learning about this healthy lifestyle.
- Farmers Markets: Fresh fruits and vegetables are available from local farmers Fridays from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., MUSC Horseshoe. New vendor is The Clean Soap Company.
- Take the MUSC Urban Farm brief redcap survey at (https://redcap.musc.edu/surveys/?s=8LVmzTiugi) and provide needed input toward future programming efforts.
- MUSC Urban Farm: The food harvested from the MUSC Urban Farm is used to teach children, patients, and the greater community. Picking and harvesting is limited to educational sessions only.
- Sunset Work & Learns – Thursdays, 4 to 5 p.m. Take home some fresh produce in return for work efforts on the Farm.
- Early Bird Maintenance - 7:30 to 8:30 a.m., Wednesdays. Get your day started with a little Farm TLC.
- Farm hand training - 9 to 10 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 4; Farm Hands are volunteers who participate in MUSC Urban Farm activities on a more regular basis and have received additional training. To register, email email@example.com. Training is at no cost and no prior experience is required.
- Bee Cause Honey is available for $15 a bottle. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for purchase.
Contact Dr. Susan Johnson at email@example.com for more information on the Office of Health Promotion at MUSC and Suzan Benenson Whelan at firstname.lastname@example.org for specific information about Employee Wellness or the Urban Farm. Events, speakers, classes, or any other ideas are welcome. Find us on Facebook. Like our page and keep up with all the wellness events at MUSC.September 22, 2014