Cyber Awareness Month: Information security begins with meTweet
By Melanie Richardson & Dan Furlong
Information security is a shared responsibility. We each have an ethical, moral and legal duty to protect the privacy and security of our patient, student, employee, and organizational data that is entrusted to our care.
October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month, and to help promote information security awareness, MUSC is hosting Information Security Awareness Pledge Centers. Tables will be located around campus where you can sign a pledge agreeing to follow good information security practices.
For those who sign a Cyber Security Awareness Pledge Card, a limited supply of promotional items will be available. Pledge names will also be entered into a drawing for two iPad Air tablets, 25 — $20 gift cards and 50 — $10 gift cards to the MUHA cafeteria and Starbucks. You can also get a fun, limited edition mouse pad if you take a brief Cyber Awareness quiz while pledging.
The pledge is not a contract — it is simply a promise that you will “Stop, Think, and then Connect!”
I pledge to secure my work and personal computers
- Always lock my devices when not in use
- Safeguard my computer and encrypt sensitive data
- Maintain up-to-date computer software
I pledge to think before I click
- Refrain from clicking on hyperlinks in suspicious emails
- Never open an emailed Zip file
- Never reply to an email asking for any password
I pledge to be cyberbase safe
- Always use a strong password or passphrase
- Report all cyber security concerns to 792-9700
- Avoid storing non-encrypted files on local, removable or cloud-based drives
I pledge to protect my mobile devices
- Protect my mobile devices like any other computer
- Install MDM on any mobile device used to access MUSC systems, including email
- Password protect all mobile devices
Do you know a champion of good cyber security practices? If so, nominate them as a “Security Mentor.”
Send nominations to email@example.com. Twenty dollar cafeteria/Starbucks gift cards will be given to 25 nominees and 25 nominators randomly drawn at the end of October.
The deadline to submit nominations is Oct. 24.
Stop by a pledge center to pledge, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will attend one of your staff meetings to obtain pledges.
Visit the MUSC website, BeginsWithMe.musc.edu, for more information about your role in Cyber Security at MUSC.