The Division of Physician Assistant Studies at the Medical University of South Carolina strives to provide the highest quality, comprehensive didactic, laboratory, and clinical instruction necessary to produce superior primary care physician assistants.
The Program supports the growth of the profession in underserved and culturally diverse areas. The Program strives to establish a diverse student body and faculty. It continually seeks to improve the program by making curricular changes and increasing student awareness of unique healthcare challenges and special needs, and prepare its graduates to provide the highest quality care.
Purpose and Objectives
The specific objectives of the program are to:
- Educate the student to function as a competent, compassionate, and dedicated physician assistant.
- Graduate the student with the requisite medical knowledge to pass the national certification examination.
- Sensitize the student to the diversity of health care needs and the impact of socioeconomic factors on health care needs and availability.
- Recruit minority and underrepresented students with the intent of having them return to their community and provide the needed health care services.
- Foster in each student a desire to pursue medical education as a continuous and lifelong process.