Heather Shaw Bonilha
Heather Shaw Bonilha, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
- Ph.D. Speech Language Pathology, University of South Carolina (2005)
- MA Communication Disorders, University of Central Florida (2002)
- BA Communication Disorders, University of Central Florida (1999)
Areas of Teaching
- Rehabilitation Theories and Models
- Rehabilitation Services
- Translational Research
- Diagnostic Accuracy in Voice and Swallowing
- Radiation Exposure in Modified Barium Swallow Studies
- Treatment Efficacy for Voice Disorders
- Cough and Throat Clearing Biomechanics
- Communication and Swallowing: Comparative Effectiveness Research
- Using knowledge of neurological injury to individualize and predict success of rehabilitation
- August 1, 2013 - July 31, 2018 Principal Investigator
“Impact of Pulse Rate on Swallowing Impairment Assessment and Radiation Exposure”
NIH / NIDDK R01 grant
- July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2018 Site Principal Investigator
“A Psychoacoustic approach to dysphonic voice quality perception”
NIDCD R01 grant
- October 15, 2010 - March 31, 2013 Principal Investigator
“Standardizing Laryngeal Endoscopy”
NIH/NCRR. KL2 UL1 RR029882
- Bonilha, H. S., Dawson, A.E., McGrattan, K.E.*, Gerlach, T.T., Sutton, L.E., Niertert, P., Deliyski, D.D. (in press). Efficacy of six tasks to clear laryngeal mucus aggregation. Journal of Voice.
- Wilmskoetter, J.*, Simpson, A.N., Simpson, K.N., Bonilha, H.S. (in press). Practice patterns of PEG tube placement in acute stroke patients: are we in-line with the guidelines? Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disorders.
- Wilmskoetter, J.*, Simpson, K.N., Bonilha, H.S. (in press). Hospital readmissions of stroke patients with percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy feeding tubes. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disorders.
- Wilmskoetter, J.*, Herbert, T.L., Bonilha, H.S. (in press). Factors associated with gastrostomy tube removal in dysphagic stroke patients: a review of the literature. Nutrition in Clinical Practice.
- Cartmell, K.*, Bonilha, H.S., Matson, T., Bryant, D. C., Zapka, J., Bentz, T.A., Ford, M.E., Hughes Halbert, C., Simpson, K.N., Alberg, A.J. (2016). Patient participation in cancer clinical trials: a pilot test of lay navigation. Contemporary Clinical Trials Communications, 3, 86-93.
- White, B., Bonilha, H.S., Ellis, C. (2016) Racial/Ethnic differences in childhood blood lead levels: A systematic review of the literature. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities, 3(1):145-153.
- Simpson, A.N., Bonilha, H.S., Kazley, A.S., Zoller, J.S., Simpson, K.N., Ellis, C. (2015). Impact of outpatient rehabilitation medicare reimbursement caps on utilization and cost of rehabilitation care after ischemic stroke: do caps contain costs? Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 96(11):1959-1965.
- Smalls, B.L., Walker, R.J., Bonilha, H.S., Campbell, J.A., Egede, L.E. (2015). Community interventions to improve glycemic control in African Americans with Type 2 Diabetes: a systematic review. Global Journal of Health Science, 7(5): 171-182.
- Halstead, L., McBroom, D., Bonilha, H.S. (2015). Task-specific singing dystonia: vocal instability that technique cannot fix. Journal of Voice, 29(1): 71-78.
- Focht, K., Martin-Harris, B., Bonilha, H.S. (2015). Rater methodology for stroboscopy: a systematic review. Journal of Voice, 29(1): 101-108.
- Bonilha, H.S., Simpson, A.N., Ellis, C., Mauldin, P.D., Martin-Harris, B. Simpson, K.N. (2014). One year cost of post-stroke dysphagia. Dysphagia, 29(5): 545-552.
- Focht, K., Martin-Harris, B., Bonilha, H.S. (2013). Stroboscopic parameters as voice outcome measures in head and neck cancer: A systematic review. Journal of Medical Speech-Language Pathology, 21(3): 225-234.
- Simpson, A.N., Bonilha, H.S., Kazley, A.S., Zoller, J.S., Ellis, C. (2013). Marginal costing methods highlight the contributing cost of comorbid conditions in Medicare patients: a quasi-experimental case-control study of ischemic stroke costs. Cost Effectiveness and Resource Allocation, 11(1):29.
- Walker, R.J., Smalls, B.L., Bonilha, H.S., Campbell, J.A., Egede, L.E. (2013). Behavioral interventions to improve glycemic control in African Americans with Type 2 Diabetes: a systematic review. Ethnicity and Disease, 23: 401-408.
- Bonilha, H.S., Blair, J., Carnes, B., Huda, W., McGrattan, K., Humphries, K., Michaels, Y., Martin-Harris, B. (2013). Preliminary investigation of the effect of pulse rate on judgments of swallowing impairment and treatment recommendations. Dysphagia, 28(4): 528-538.
- Charalambous, C.C., Bonilha, H.S., Kautz, S.A., Gregory, C.M., Bowden, M.G. (2013). Rehabilitating walking speed after stroke with treadmill-based interventions: A systematic review of randomized trials. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair, 27(8):709-721.
- Bonilha, H.S., Humphries, K., Blair, J., Hill, E., McGrattan, K., Carnes, B., Huda, W., Martin-Harris, B. (2013). Radiation exposure time during MBSS: Influence of swallowing impairment severity, medical diagnosis, clinician experience, and standardized protocol use. Dysphagia, 28(1): 77-85.
- Marlow, N., Bonilha, H.S., Short, B. (2013). Efficacy of transcranial direct current stimulation and repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation for treating fibromyalgia syndrome: a systematic review. Pain Practice, 13(2): 131-145.
- Wilmskoetter, J., Simpson, A.N., Simpson, K.N., Bonilha, H.S. "Practice patterns of PEG tube placement in acute stroke patients: Are the guidelines unachievable?" Dysphagia Research Society, Mar 2015. Chicago, IL.
- Bonilha, H.S. "Radiation Safety 101." Meet the Master’s Symposium, Nov 2014. Orlando, FL.
- Focht, K., Martin-Harris, B., Bonilha, H.S. "Rater methodology for stroboscopy: a systematic review." 43rd Symposium of The Voice Foundation: Care of the Professional Voice, June 2014. Philadelphia, PA.
- SCSHA Research Committee. "Evidence-based practices in speech-language pathology." Abstracts: Convention of the South Carolina Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Feb 2014. Charleston, SC.
- Huda, W., Bonilha, H.S. "Radiation Safety." Charleston Swallowing Conference, Oct 2013. Charleston, SC.
- Simpson A.N., Bonilha, H.S., Kazley, A.S., Zoller, J.S., Ellis, C. "How Big is the Difference Between Marginal Cost Versus Total Cost Estimates? The Case of Ischemic Stroke in South Carolina." International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) 18th Annual International Meeting, May 2013. New Orleans, LA.
- Simpson A.N., Bonilha, H.S., Kazley, A.S., Zoller, J.S., Ellis, C. "The Cost of Ischemic Stroke: The Superiority of Marginal over Total Cost Estimation and Its Impact on National Cost Estimates." International Stroke Conference, Feb 2013. Honolulu, HI.
Recent Honors & Awards
- University of South Carolina Arnold School of Public Health, Distinguished Alumni Award, 2015
- Award of Achievement. 2nd Place Scientific Abstract: Poster Presentation. Awarded at the 20th Annual Dysphagia Research Society Meeting, March 10, 2012, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- MUSC College of Health Professions Developing Scholar Award, 2012
- IALP World Congress Manuel Garcia Prize, 2010