Heather Shaw Bonilha
Heather Shaw Bonilha, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
Office: CHP C311
- PhD, Speech Language Pathology, University of South Carolina (2005)
- MA, Speech Language Pathology, University of Central Florida (2002)
- BA, Speech Language Pathology, University of Central Florida (1999)
Areas of Teaching
- Rehabilitation Theories and Models
- Rehabilitation Services
- Translational Research
- Diagnostic Accuracy in Voice and Swallowing
- Treatment Efficacy for Voice Disorders
- Cough and Throat Clearing Biomechanics
- Communication and Swallowing: Comparative Effectiveness Research
- Using knowledge of neurological injury to individualize and predict success of rehabilitation
- Focht, K.*, Bonilha, H. S., Martin-Harris, B. (in press). Stroboscopic parameters as voice outcome measures in head and neck cancer: A systematic review. Journal of Medical Speech-Language Pathology.
- Bonilha, H.S., Humphries, K., Blair, J., Hill, E., McGrattan, K.*, Carnes, B., Martin-Harris, B. (in press, #DYSP914R1). Radiation exposure time during MBSS: Influence of swallowing impairment severity, medical diagnosis, clinician experience, and standardized protocol use. Dysphagia. NIHMSID#386358
- Marlow, N.*, Bonilha, H.S., Short, B. (in press). A systematic review of treatment of fibromyalgia with neurostimulation. Arthritis & Rheumatism.
- Bonilha, H., White, L.*, Kuckhahn, K.*, Gerlach, T., Deliyski, D. (2012). Vocal fold mucus aggregation in persons with voice disorders. Journal of Communication Disorders, 45(4):304-11. PMCID:PMC3367063
- Bonilha, H.S., Dawson, A.E., McGrattan, K.E*. (in press). Are improved rater reliability results associated with faster reaction times after rater training for judgments of laryngeal mucus? SPIE Digital Library.
- Bonilha, H. S., Gerlach, T.T., Sutton, L.E., Dawson, A.E., Nietert, P. (in press). Laryngeal sensation before and after clearing behaviors. Journal of Voice.
- Ellis, C., Simpson, A.N.*, Bonilha, H.S., Mauldin, P.D., Simpson, K.N. (2012). One year cost of post-stroke aphasia. Stroke, 43(5):1429-1431.
- Bonilha, H., Deliyski, D., Whiteside, J.*, Gerlach, T. (2012). Vocal fold phase asymmetries in patients with voice disorders: a study across visualization techniques. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology 21(1):3-15.
- Bonilha, H.S., Dawson, A.E. (in press). Creating a mastery experience during the voice evaluation. Journal of Voice.Bonilha, H., O’Shields, M., Gerlach, T., Deliyski, D. (2009). Arytenoid Adduction Asymmetries in Persons with and without Voice Disorders. Logopedics Phoniatrics Vocology, 34(3):128-134.
- Bonilha, H., Deliyski, D, Gerlach, T. (2008). Phase asymmetries in normophonic speakers: visual judgments and objective findings. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 17:367-376.
- Bonilha, H., Aikman, A., Hines, K., Deliyski, D. (2008). Vocal fold mucus aggregation in vocally normal speakers. Logopedics Phoniatrics Vocology, 33:136-142.
- Bonilha, H., Deliyski, D. (2008). Period and glottal width irregularities of vocal fold vibration. Journal of Voice, 22(6):699-708.
- Shaw, H. & Deliyski, D. (2008). Mucosal wave: a normophonic study across visualization techniques. Journal of Voice, 22(1):23-33.
- Deliyski D., Petrushev P., Bonilha HS., Gerlach T., Martin-Harris B., Hillman R. (2008). Clinical implementation of laryngeal high-speed videoendoscopy: challenges and evolution. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica, 60(1):33-44.
- Fridriksson, J., Moser, D., Bonilha, L., Morrow-Odoma, K.L., Shaw, H., Fridriksson, A., Baylis, G.C., Rorden, C. (2007). Neural correlates of phonological and semantic-based anomia treatment in aphasia. Neuropsychologia, 45(8): 1812-1822.
- Deliyski, D., Shaw, H., Evans, M. Vesselinov, R. (2006). Regression Tree Approach to Studying Factors Influencing Acoustic Voice Analysis. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica, 58(4): 274-288.
- Deliyski D., Shaw H., Evans M. (2005). Influence of Sampling Rate on Accuracy and Reliability of Acoustic Voice Analysis. Logopedics Phoniatrics Vocology, 30(2):55-62.
- Deliyski, D., Evans, M., Shaw, H. (2005). Influence of Data Acquisition Environment on Accuracy of Acoustic Voice Quality Measurements. Journal of Voice, 19(2):176-186.
- Deliyski, D., Shaw, H., Evans, M. (2005). Adverse Effects of Environmental Noise on Acoustic Voice Quality Measurements. Journal of Voice, 19(1):15-28.
- Ryalls, J., Shaw, H., Simmons, M. (2004). Voice Onset Time Production in Older and Younger Female Monozygotic Twins. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica, 56, 165-169.
- 2012 Award of Achievement. 2nd Place Scientific Abstract: Poster Presentation. Awarded at the 20th Annual Dysphagia Research Society Meeting, March 10, 2012, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- 2011 Developing Scholar Award, College of Health Professions, MUSC
- 2010 Manuel Garcia Prize, presented at the 28th IALP World Congress August 22, 2010.
- First Annual Sataloff Young Investigator Award, The Voice Foundation (2009)
- Lessons for Success Award, ASHA/NIH (2009)
- ASHA Early Career Contributions to Research Award (2008)
- New Investigator Research Forum, The Voice Foundation, Philadelphia, PA Awarded for "An Investigation of the Impact of Mucus and Mucus Clearing Behaviors" (2005)
- NIH/NCRR. SCTR Pilot Project UL1 RR029882. “Impact of Acute Stroke Brain Lesion and Swallowing Impairment on Short-Term Swallowing Outcomes”, (Principal Investigator) 2010-2012
- NIH/NCRR. KL2 UL1 RR029882. “Standardizing Laryngeal Endoscopy”, (Principal Investigator) 2010-2013
- NIH/ NIDCD. R03. "Throat Clearing, Coughing, and Alternative Behaviors", (Principal Investigator) 2008-2010.
- NIH/NIDCD. ARRA Equipment Supplement for R03. 2009.