Mark G. Bowden, Ph.D., PT
- Ph.D. Rehabilitation Science, University of Florida (2009)
- MS Physical Therapy, Duke University (1995)
- BS Psychology, Duke University (1991)
Areas of Teaching
- Neuromuscular I & II
- Evidence Based Practice I, II, III, & IV
- Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation
- Research Seminar
- Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation
- Stroke Rehabilitation
- Improving clinical decision making relative to locomotor interventions.
- Designing interventions/combinations of therapies in response to improved understanding of underlying factors related to impaired walking.
- Translating biomechanical laboratory findings into non-laboratory assessments and clinical interventions.
- November 1, 2016 – October 31, 2017, Principal Investigator
“S.C.O.P.E. Systematic Collection of Objective, Progressive Exercise”
Direct Costs: $8728
- June 2, 2014 - March 31, 2019 Principal Investigator
"Excitatory and Inhibitory rTMS as Mechanistic Contributors to Walking Recovery"
Direct Costs: $652,185
- April 1, 2013 - March 31, 2018 Principal Investigator
"Augmentation of Locomotor Adaptation Post-Stroke"
Department of Veterans Affairs Rehabilitation Research & Development
Direct Costs: $923,700
- Wonsetler BC and Bowden MG. A systematic review of mechanisms of gait speed change post-stroke. Part 1: Spatiotemporal parameters and asymmetry ratios. Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation. In Press.
- Aaron SE, Hong I, Bowden MG, Gregory CM, Embry AE, and Velozo CA. Use of the Rasch Measurement Model to Investigate Measurement Properties for the Dynamic Gait Index in Chronic Stroke. Edorium Journal of Disability and Rehabilitation. In Press.
- Hunnicutt J, Aaron S, Embry AE, Cence B, Morgan P, Bowden MG, and Gregory CM. The Effects of POWER Training in Young and Older Adults Poststroke. Stroke Research and Treatment. Volume 2016, Article ID 7316250, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/7316250
- Vistamehr A, Kautz SA, Bowden MG, Neptune RR. Correlations between Measures of Dynamic Balance in Individuals with Post-stroke Hemiparesis. J Biomech. 2016 Feb 8;49(3):396-400. doi: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2015.12.047. Epub 2016 Jan 8.
- Balasubramanian CK, Chih-Ying L, Bowden MG, Duncan PW, Kautz SA, Velozo CA. Dimensionality and item-difficulty hierarchy of the lower-extremity Fugl-Meyer assessment in individuals with sub-acute and chronic stroke. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016 Apr;97(4):582-589.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.apmr.2015.12.012. Epub 2015 Dec 29.
- Charalambous, C. C., Bowden, M. G., & Adkins, D. L. (2015). Motor Cortex and Motor Cortical Interhemispheric Communication in Walking After Stroke: The Roles of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation and Animal Models in Our Current and Future Understanding. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair. 2015 Apr 15 (epub ahead of print). doi: 10.1177/1545968315581418
- DiPiro ND, Holthaus KD, Morgan PJ, Embry AE, Perry LA, Bowden MG, Gregory CM. Lower extremity strength is correlated with walking function after incomplete SCI. Topics in SCI Rehabilitation. 2015;21(2):133–139. doi: 10.1310/sci2102-133
- Gregory CM, Embry A, Perry LA, Bowden MG. Quantifying human movement across the continuum of care: from lab to clinic to community. J Neuroscience Methods. 2014;231:18-21.
- Dobkin B, Nadeau S, Behrman AL, Wu S, Rose D, Bowden MG, Studenski S, Lu X, Duncan PW. Baseline prediction of responders for interventions of the Locomotor Experience Applied Post Stroke trial. JRRD. 2014;51(1):39-50
- Charalambous CC, Bonilha HS, Kautz SA, Gregory CM, and Bowden MG. Rehabilitating Walking Speed Post-Stroke with Treadmill-based Interventions: A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair. 2013;27(8):709-721.
- Bowden MG, Wonsetler EC, Monsch E, Kraft SV. Transforming Physical Therapy Residencies: Integrated Models and Innovative Partnerships. Educational Session. Education Leadership Conference, Oct 2016, Phoenix, AZ.
- Sabatier M, Phadke C, Bowden MG, Thompson A. Strides in Gait Rehabilitation: Walking as a Source and a Target of Neural Plasticity. Symposium. American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine Annual Conference, Nov 2016. Chicago, IL.
- Peters H, Bowden MG, Bockbrader M, Page SJ. Non-Invasive Brain Stimulation (NIBS) in Stroke Motor Rehabilitation. Symposium. American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine Annual Conference, Nov 2016. Chicago, IL.
- Charalambous CC, Bowden MG, Dean JC. Associations Between Motor Corticospinal Excitability and Task-Specific Neuromechanics of the Paretic Soleus and Tibialis Anterior. Poster presentation. American Society of Biomechanics Annual Meeting, Aug 2016. Raleigh, NC.
- Kraft S, Bowden MG. Evidence Based Practice Made Easy in Neurorehabilitation. Educational session. South Carolina Chapter of the American Physical Therapy Association Annual Spring Conference, May 2016. Charleston, SC.
- Kraft S, Seif G, Coker-Bolt P, Dean J, Giles A, Woodbury M, Bowden MG. Translating Evidence into Practice: An Effective Educational Model. Poster presentation. American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, Feb 2016. Anaheim, CA.
- Aaron SE, Hunnicutt JL, Embry AE, Morgan PJ, Cence B, Bowden MG, Gregory CM. "Differences Between Responders and Nonresponders with POWER Training in Individuals with Chronic Stroke." Poster presentation. American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, Feb 2016. Anaheim, CA.
- Hunnicutt JL, Aaron SE, Embry AE, Morgan PJ, Cence B, Bowden MG, and Gregory CM. "Effects of POWER Training in Young and Older Adults Post-Stroke." Poster presentation. American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, Feb 2016. Anaheim, CA.
- VanDerwerker C, Gregory CM, and Bowden MG. "The Short-Term Effects of Incline Treadmill Walking on Braking, Propulsion, and Ankle Power in Individuals with Chronic Spinal Cord Injury." Poster presentation. American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, Feb 2016. Anaheim, CA.
- VanDerwerker C, Embry AE, Ross R, Aaron SE, Cence B, Newton J, Bowden MG, and Gregory CM. "The Effects of Aerobic Exercise on Poststroke Depression, Functional Mobility, and Metabolic Capacity in Individuals with Chronic Stroke." Poster presentation. American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, Feb 2016. Anaheim, CA.
- Wonsetler E, Gregory CM, Kautz SA, and Bowden MG. "Effects of Self-Selected and Fastest-Comfortable Walking Speeds on Gait Asymmetries." Poster presentation. American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, Feb 2016. Anaheim, CA.
- McKinney Margaret, Miller Sarah, Kraft S, Seif G, Coker-Bolt P, Giles A, Velozo C, Giles A, Bowden MG. Classroom to the Clinic: Integrating Intensity Principles into The Student-Run Free Clinic. Poster presentation. Student Society of Free Medical Clinics Conference, Jan 2016. Phoenix, AZ.
Recent Honors & Awards
- MUSC College of Health Professions Developing Scholar of the Year, 2015
- Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Elite Reviewer Award, 2014
- American Physical Therapy Association Eugene Michels New Investigator Award, 2013