Mark G. Bowden, PhD, PT
- BS, Psychology, Duke University (1991)
- MS, Physical Therapy, Duke University (1995)
- PhD, Rehabilitation Science, University of Florida (2009)
Areas of Teaching
- Locomotor Rehabilitation
- Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation
- Research Seminar
- Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation
- Stroke Rehabilitation
- Improving clinical decision making relative to locomotor interventions.
- Designing interventions/combinations of therapies in response to improved understanding of underlying factors related to impaired walking.
- Translating biomechanical laboratory findings into non-laboratory assessments and clinical interventions.
- Bowden MG, Balasubramanian CK, Neptune RR, Kautz SA. Anterior-Posterior Ground Reaction Forces as a Measure of Paretic Leg Contribution in Hemiparetic Walking. Stroke. 2006 Mar;37(3):872-6.
- Behrman AL, Bowden MG, Nair PM. Neuroplasticity After Spinal Cord Injury and Training: An Emerging Paradigm Shift in Rehabilitation and Walking Recovery. Physical Therapy. 2006 Oct;86(10):1406-25.
- Balasubramanian CK, Bowden MG Neptune RR, Kautz SA. Relationship between step length asymmetry and walking performance in subjects with chronic hemiparesis. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007 Jan;88(1):43-9.
- Gregory CM, Bowden MG, Jayaraman A, Shah P, Behrman AL, Kautz SK, Vandenborne K. Resistance training and locomotor recovery after incomplete spinal cord injury: A case series. Spinal Cord. 2007 Jul;45(7):522-30.
- Behrman AL, Nair PM, Bowden MG, Dauser RC, Herget BR, Martin JB, Phadke CP, Reier PJ, Senesac C, Thompson FJ, Howland DR. Locomotor training restores walking in a non-ambulatory child with severe, chronic, cervical spinal cord injury. Physical Therapy. 2008 May;88(5):580-90.
- Bowden MG, Balasubramanian CK, Behrman AL, Kautz SA. Validation of a speed-based classification system using quantitative measures of walking performance post-stroke. NeuroRehabilitation and Neural Repair. 2008 Nov-Dec;22(6):672-5.
- Bowden MG, Hannold EM, Nair PM, Fuller LB, Behrman AL. Beyond gait speed: a multidimensional approach to locomotor rehabilitation outcomes. J of Neurologic Phys Ther. 2008;32(3):129-138.
- Bowden MG, Stokic DS. Clinical and neurophysiological assessment of strength and spasticity during intrathecal baclofen titration in incomplete spinal cord injury: Single-subject design. J Spinal Cord Med. 2009;32(2):183-90.
- Bowden MG, Clark DJ, Kautz SA. Evaluation of abnormal synergy patterns post-stroke: Relationship of the Fugl Meyer assessment to hemiparetic locomotion. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair. 2010, 24(4):328-37.
- Behrman AL, Druin E, Bowden MG, Harkema SJ. Ambulation training after spinal cord injury. In Sisto S, Druin E, Sliminski MM eds. Spinal Cord Injuries: Management and Rehabilitation. St. Louis: Mosby Elsevier; 2008:380-406.
- Behrman AL, Bowden MG, Rose DK. Clinical trials in neurorehabilitation. In Goode D and Barnes M eds. Neurorehabilitation. Elsevier; IN PRESS
- 2010-2012, VA RR&D B7177M, Evaluation of Walking Specific Motor Learning in Chronic Stroke. Career Development Award-1, Department of Veterans Affairs Rehabilitation Research & Development, Principal Investigator.
- 2010-2011, R24 HD050845 (PI: B.Bregman), Task-specific Propulsion Training after Neurological Injury. Pilot project funded through NICHD/NINDS Capitol Area Rehabilitation Research Network, Principal Investigator of MUSC sub-contract.
- 2010-2013, Spinal Cord Injury Research Foundation, Propulsive Training in Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury. Recruitment/Seed Funding (RFP 2010-A), Principal Investigator.