Peter Bowman, OTD, OTR/L, OT(C)
- OTD, Occupational Therapy, University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences (2005)
- MHS, Occupational Therapy, Medical University of South Carolina (1996)
- Dip COT, Occupational Therapy, Salford College of Technology (1977)
Areas of Teaching
- Hand Injuries
- Surface anatomy
- Occupational Performance for Musculoskeletal Conditions I
- Occupational Performance for Musculoskeletal Conditions I Laboratory
- Occupational Performance for Musculoskeletal Conditions II
- Occupational Performance for Musculoskeletal Conditions II Laboratory
- Surface Anatomy
- Special Topics Ergonomics Elective
- Clinical Anatomy and Splinting of the Upper Extremity Elective
- Research Seminar I
- Research Seminar II
- Hand Splinting Compliance
- Laptop/Notebook Computer Ergonomics and Education
- Hand Anomalies and Grip Strength
- Student Recruitment
- Scholarship of Teaching
- Dental Ergonomics
Publications and Presentations
- Bowman, P.J. Accidental Interprofessional Activity, selected short course presentation. American association of occupational therapists national conference, April 17, 2015, Nashville, TN.
- Giles, A., Seif, G., Annan-Coultas, D., Bowman, P.J., Coultas, J., Melancon, G. Flipping the lab:Development of an E-learning module. Selected short course presentation. American association of occupational therapists national conference, April 17, 2015, Nashville, TN.
- Bowman, P.J., Braswell, K.D., Cohen, J.R., Funke, J.L., Landon, H.M. Martinez, P.I., and Mossbarger, J.N., (2014) Benefits of laptop computer ergonomics education to graduate students. Open Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation. Vol.2, No.1, 25-32.
- Bowman, P.J. (2014) Ergonomics and Prevention of Work Related Injuries, In M.E. Scaffa & S. M. Reitz (Eds.), Occupational Therapy in Community-Based Practice Settings, (2nd ed.), (pp 223-242) Philadelphia PA: FA Davis.
- Bowman, P.J. ,Braswell, K.D., Cohen, J.R., Funke, J.L., Landon, H.L., Martinez, P.I., & Mossbarger, J.N. Benefits of Laptop and Notebook Computer Ergonomics Education to Graduate Students, selected research presentation. American association of occupational therapists national conference, April 3, 2014, Baltimore, MD.
- Bowman, P.J., Giles, A. (2013, July) Elbow Splinting and UE Kinesiotaping for the Upper Extremity, Continuing education seminar presented at the Medical University of South Carolina Maralynne D. Mitcham Inaugural Lectureship, Charleston, SC.
- Giles, A., Bowman, P.J., Coker-Bolt, P., Carson, N.E., Breland, H.L. Making it Real: Using Simulated Patients to Assess Students’ Preparedness for Level II Fieldwork. AOTA NBCOT Education Summit. October 4-5, 2013. Atlanta, GA.
- Bowman, P.J. (2012). Ergonomics work assessment in rural industrial settings: A student occupational therapy project. Work.43, 323-329.
- Bowman, P.J., Ergonomics and Prevention of Work Related Injuries, Occupational Therapy in Community-Based Practice Settings 3rd edition (ed Marjorie Scaffa & Maggie Reitz) FA Davis. (Book chapter)
- Bowman, P.J., (2009, May). Ergonomics, work assessment and and work hardening for occupational therapists, selected paper, (3 hour workshop), American association of occupational therapists national conference, Houston, TX.
- Bowman, P.J., (2007). Recruitment issues and potential solutions to increase rehabilitation science applications. Journal of Allied Health. 36(3), e221-243.
- Bowman, P.J., Carson, N., & Burik, J.K. (2005, May) Community as classroom: Integrating occupation-based community learning experiences into the curriculum. American Occupational Therapy Association annual conference. Long Beach, CA.
- Burik, J.K., & Bowman, P.J., (2004) Managing Age Related Change; Resources for Intervention, continuing education module for practitioners in the rehabilitation professions. [On-line].
- Bowman, P.J., Chiapetta, A., Mitchell, A., Johnson, L., & Belusko, E. (2003).The effect of an absent or anomalous flexor digitorum superficialis of the small finger on grip strength. Journal of Hand Therapy,16, 245-248.
- Bowman, P. J., & Burik, J. K. (2002). Environmental safety and assessment continuing education module for practitioners in the rehabilitation professions. [On-line].
- MUSC Changing What’s Possible Through Innovation and Technology Grant “E-learning Innovations: Converting an e-learning module into a marketable mobile application” (2015) $31,000; Team member; contribution as advisor and content reviewer for “Goni” application.
- HRSA/BHP Federal. Community Connections: Partners for Learning and Service. PI: Mitcham, M. D., Participating Faculty: H. H. Wise, E. B. Ricciardone, L. Hays, P. J. Bowman, J. K. Burik, M. L. Woodbury, S. S. Brotherton & L. K. Saladin. (7/1/2002-6/30/2005, Total: $368,906.00), Current Year Amount: $122,642.00.
- An Interdisciplinary, PBL, Distance Education Curriculum Promoting Home and Independent Living by the Elderly. (PHILE) HSRA Allied Health Grant.
- American Association of Occupational Therapists
- National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy
- Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists
- License - South Carolina Board of Occupational Therapy
- South Carolina Occupational Therapy Association