Hazel L. Breland
Hazel L. Breland, PhD, OTR/L
Download full CV
- PhD, Rehabilitation Sciences. University of Pittsburgh (2006)
- MS, Rehabilitation Sciences. University of Pittsburgh (2003)
- BS, Occupational Therapy. Howard University (2001)
- BS, Exercise Science. University of South Carolina (1997)
Areas of Teaching
- Qualitative Methods for Evidence-Based Practice
- Introduction to Evidence-Based Practice
- Research Seminar and Research Experience
- Clinical Correlates
- Promoting Diversity in Health-Related Research
- Describe and investigate health disparities, functional outcomes, and health promotion and secondary prevention of persons aging with chronic conditions, persons in medically underserved areas, and medically underserved populations.
- Develop and translate effective patient-centered interventions into clinically relevant practice with collaborations between clinical research, clinical practice environments, and actively engaged community stakeholders.
- Breland, H. L. (2013). Self-reported burden and management of arthritis in South Carolina. Southern Medical Journal, 106(5):305-309. DOI: 10.1097/SMJ.0b013e318290c6a5
- Ellis, C. & Breland, H.L. (2013). Poor Stroke-Related Risk Factor Control Even After Stroke: An Opportunity for Rehabilitation Professionals. Disability and Rehabilitation. DOI: 10.3109/09638288.2013.797513
- Yuen, H. K., Wang, E., Holthaus, K., Vogtle, L., Sword, D., Breland, H. L., & Kamen, D. L., (2013). Self-reported versus Objectively Assessed Exercise Adherence. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 67(4):484-489. DOI: 10.5014/ajot.2013.007575
- Yuen, H. K., Breland, H. L., Vogtle, L. K., Holthaus, K., Kamen, D. L., & Sword, D. (2013). The process associated with motivation of a home-based Wii Fit exercise program among sedentary African American women with systemic lupus erythematosus. Disability and Health, 6 (1):63-68. DOI: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2012.08.003
- Breland, H. L. & Ellis, C. (2012). The Issue Is… Is Reporting Race and Ethnicity Essential to Occupational Therapy Evidence?” American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 66 (1): 115-119.
- Yuen, H. K., Holthaus, K., Kamen, D. L., Sword, D., & Breland, H. L. (2011). Using Wii Fit to reduce fatigue among African American women with systemic lupus erythematosus: A pilot study. Lupus, 20 (12): 1293-1299.
- Atkinson, K. E., Abner, N. C., Shockley, L. C., King, A.S., Hardee, T. B., Head, T. C., & Breland, H. L. (2009) “Arthritis Knowledge: A Survey of Health Professional Students”. Journal of Allied Health, 38 (4) e119-124.
- Breland, H.L., Holm, M. B., Rogers, J. C., & Starz, T.W. (2008). A New Model for Understanding Fibromyalgia Management Outcomes: A Pilot Study. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 58(9S), S161.
- Breland, H.L. (2008). Home Safety for African American Female Elders with Rheumatic Conditions: Design of a Pilot Study. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 58(9S), S162.
- Ellis, C., Breland, H. L., & Egede, L. (2008). Racial-Ethnic Differences in Utilization of Post-Stroke Rehabilitation Services: A Systematic Review. Ethnicity and Disease, 18(3): 365-372.
- Brininger, T.M., Antczak, A. & Breland, H. L. (2008). Upper Extremity Injuries in the United States Military during Peacetime Years and Wartime Years. Journal of Hand Therapy, 21(2): 115-122.
- Breland, H.L., Rogers, J. C., Holm, M. B., Starz, T. W. (2006). Triggers of Fibromyalgia (FM) Flares in Subgroups with Fibromyalgia: A Mixed Methods Study. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 54(9S), S503.
- Environmental Determinants of Autoimmunity among African Americans in Coastal SC (Breland, H. L., Co-Investigator). National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences Supplement. $1,516,635. 04/01/10 to 03/31/13.
- Environmental Determinants of Autoimmunity among African Americans in Coastal SC (Supplement Principal Investigator). National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences Supplement. $252,936. 04/01/10 to 12/31/12.
- Effects of Exercise using Wii Fit to Reduce Fatigue among African Americans with SLE. (Breland, H. L., Co-Investigator). South Carolina Clinical and Translational Research Institute. $50,000. 07/24/09 to 06/30/10
- Lupus and Osteoporosis Education/Prevention Intervention (Breland, H. L., Principal Investigator). MUSC Center for Health Disparities Research. $5,000. 11/01/08 to 03/30/10.
- Factors Associated with Human Functioning, Well-being, and Quality of Life for Patients with Rheumatic Conditions (Breland, H. L., Principal Investigator). National Center for Minority Health Disparities/Health Disparities LRP. $70,000. 08/01/08 to 06/30/10.
- Home Safety for African American Female Elders with Rheumatic Conditions. (Breland, H. L., Principal Investigator). Resource Center for Minority Aging Research (RCMAR)/NIA and Multidisciplinary Clinical Research Center (MCRC) Administrative Core Supplement. $20,000. 03/1/07 to 12/31/07.