Jesse C. Dean, Ph.D.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Alberta Centre for Neuroscience (2008)
- Ph.D. Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan (2005)
- MS Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan (2002)
- BA Physics, University of Delaware (2000)
- BA Biological Sciences, University of Delaware (2000)
Areas of Teaching
- Movement Science
- Research Seminar: Movement Disorders and Rehabilitation Techniques
- Signal Processing for Rehabilitation Scientists
- Stroke Rehabilitation
- Biomechanics and Motor Control of Human Locomotion
- Balance and Stability
- Motor Adaptation and Learning
- Contributors to Metabolic Energy Expenditure
- Roles of Sensory Feedback in Human Movement
- January 2017 – December 2020; Principal Investigator
“A Novel Mechanics-based Intervention to Improve Post-Stroke Gait Stability”
- July 2016 – June 2019; Principal Investigator
“Development of a Novel Rehabilitation Device for the Improvement of Gait Stability”
- March 2017 – February 2019; Principal Investigator
“Mechanism-based Strategies to Restore Post-Stroke Gait Stability through Targeted Motor Adaptation”
- April 2016 – March 2018; Co-investigator
“Influence of Lateral Stabilization on Walking Ability Post-Stroke”
- Stimpson KH, Heitkamp LN, Horne JS, Dean JC. Effects of walking speed on the step-by-step control of step width. J Biomech. 68: 78-83, 2018.
- Nyberg ET, Broadway J, Finetto C, Dean JC. A novel elastic force-field to influence mediolateral foot placement during walking. IEEE Trans Neur Sys Rehab Eng. 25: 1481-1488, 2017.
- Dean JC, Embry AE, Stimpson KH, Perry LA, Kautz SA. Effects of hip abduction and adduction accuracy on post-stroke gait. Clin Biomech. 44: 14-20, 2017.
- Roden-Reynolds DC, Walker MH, Wasserman CR, Dean JC. Hip proprioceptive feedback influences the control of mediolateral stability during human walking. J Neurophysiol. 114(4): 2220-2229, 2015.
- Dean JC, Kautz SA. Foot placement control and gait instability among people with stroke. J Rehab Res Dev. 52(5): 577-590, 2015.
- Hubbuch JE, Bennett BW, Dean JC. Proprioceptive feedback contributes to the adaptation toward an economical gait pattern. J Biomech. 48(11): 2925-2931, 2015.
- Kubinski SN, McQueen CA, Sittloh KA, Dean JC. Walking with wider steps increases stance phase gluteus medius activity. Gait Posture. 41(1): 130-135, 2015.
- Dean JC, Clair-Auger JM, Lagerquist O, Collins DF. Asynchronous recruitment of low-threshold motor units during repetitive, low-current stimulation of the human tibial nerve. Front Hum Neurosci. 8: 1002, 2014.
- Rankin BL, Buffo SK, Dean JC. A neuromechanical strategy for mediolateral foot placement in walking humans. J Neurophysiol. 112(2): 374-383, 2014.
- Maynard KT, Bowman MM, Dean JC. Application of a novel force-field to influence post-stroke gait stabilization strategy. American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting. New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. February 21-24, 2018.
- Bowman MM, Maynard KT, Dean JC. Application of a novel elastic force-field to influence lateral gait stabilization strategy. 41st Annual Meeting of the American Society of Biomechanics. Boulder, Colorado, USA. August 8-11, 2017.
- Wilson L, Reimold N, Dean JC. Effects of mechanical step width manipulation on dynamic stability. 41st Annual Meeting of the American Society of Biomechanics. Boulder, Colorado, USA. August 8-11, 2017.
- Broadway J, Nyberg ET, Dean JC. Use of a novel mechanical context to manipulate preferred step width. American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting. San Antonio, Texas, USA. February 15-18, 2017.
- Gaffney EM, Sacco CC, Dean JC. Effects of proprioceptive enhancement on postural and gait performance. American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting. San Antonio, Texas, USA. February 15-18, 2017.
- Charalambous CC, Bowden MG, Dean JC. Associations between motor corticospinal excitability and task-specific neuromechanics of the paretic soleus and tibialis anterior. 40th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Biomechanics. Raleigh, North Carolina, USA. August 2-5, 2016.
- Dean JC. Post-stroke deficits in a mediolateral gait stabilization strategy (and a possible intervention). XXI International Society of Electrophysiology and Kinesiology Congress. Chicago, Illinois, USA. July 5-8, 2016.
- Dean JC, Embry AE, Stimpson KH, Kautz SA. The role of hip positioning accuracy in post-stroke gait. American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting. Anaheim, California, USA. February 17-20, 2016.
- Broadway J, Nyberg ET, Dean JC. Development of an elastic force-field to influence mediolateral foot placement during walking. 39th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Biomechanics. Columbus, Ohio, USA. August 5-8, 2015.
- Gaffney EM, Sacco CC, Dean JC. Effects of white noise Achilles tendon vibration on standing posture. 39th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Biomechanics. Columbus, Ohio, USA. August 5-8, 2015.
Recent Honors & Awards
- MUSC College of Health Professions Scholar of the Year, 2017
- MUSC College of Health Professions Excellence in Teaching, 2017
- President’s Award for best poster at American Society of Biomechanics Annual Meeting, 2015
- Pioneer Volunteer Faculty Leader in the CARES Therapy Clinic, 2013
- MUSC College of Health Professions Developing Scholar of the Year, 2012