Charles Ellis, Jr.
Charles Ellis, Jr., PhD, CCC-SLP
Phone: (843) 792-7492
- PhD, Rehabilitation Science; University of Florida (2005)
- MS, Communication Sciences and Disorders; The University of Georgia (1992)
- BS, Communication Sciences and Disorders; The University of Georgia (1990)
Areas of Teaching
- Intro to Rehabilitation Theories
- Intro to Rehabilitation Services
- Diversity and Culture
- Minority Health and Health Disparities
- Stroke and Related Disorders
Neurologically Based Disorders of Communication
- Ellis, C. Simpson, A.N.*, Bonilha, H.S., Mauldin, P.D., & Simpson, K.N. (2012). The one-year attributable cost of post-stroke aphasia. Stroke. (In Press).
- Plowman, E. Hentz, B. & Ellis, C. (2011). Post-stroke aphasia prognosis: A review of patient-related and stroke-related factors. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice. (In Press)
- Ellis, C. Dismuke, C. Edwards, K. (2010). Longitudinal trends in aphasia in the United States. Neurorehabilitation, 27(4):327-33.
- Ellis, C. (2009). Does Race/Ethnicity Really Matter in Adult Neurogenics? American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 18, 310-314.
- Ellis, C. & Peach, R.K. (2009). Sentence planning following traumatic brain injury. Neurorehabilitation, 24(3), 255-266.
- Ellis, C. & Rosenbek, J.C. (2007). The basal ganglia and expressive language: a review and directions for future research. Communicative Disorders Reviews, 1(1), 1-15.
Health Disparities/Minority Health/Veterans Health
- Ellis, C. Grubaugh, A. & Egede, L.E. (2011). Factors Associated with SF-12 Physical and Mental Health Quality of Life Scores in Adults with Stroke. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases. (In Press).
- Ellis, C. Zhao, Y. & Egede, L. (2010). Racial/ethnic disparities in post-stroke outpatient rehabilitation in veterans. Journal of National Medical Association, 102(9), 817-822.
- Ellis, C. (2010) Stroke in Young Adults. Disability and Health Journal, 3(3), 222-224.
- Ellis, C. Zhao, Y. & Egede, L. (2010). Depression and increased risk of death in adults with stroke. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 68(6), 545-551.
- Ellis, C. Zhao, Y. & Egede, L. (2009). Racial/ethnic differences in stroke mortality in veterans. Ethnicity and Disease. 19(2),161-165.
- Ellis, C. & Egede, L. (2008). Racial/ethnic differences in stroke awareness among veterans. Ethnicity & Disease, 18(2), 198-203.
- Ellis, C. & Egede, L. (2008). Ethnic disparities in stroke recognition in individuals with prior stroke. Public Health Reports, 123(4), 514-522.
- Racial-Ethnic Differences in Post-Stroke Outcomes (PI). VA HSR&D Career Development Award-I. 08-01-09-07-30-12.
- Racial-Ethnic Differences in Treatment Seeking Behaviors for Stroke Related Care (PI). MUSC Center for Health Disparities Research. 12-01-07–09-30-08.
- Racial-Ethnic Differences in Post-Stroke Recovery (PI). NIH-LRP #2674-18. 10-01-07–10-01-09.
Awards and Honors
- 2011 ASHA Certificate of Recognition for Special Contribution in Multicultural Affairs
- 2009 MUSC College of Health Professions Developing Scholar of the Year
- 2008 University of Florida Outstanding Young Alumnus
- 2007 MUSC Foundation Teaching Excellence Award-Developing Teacher