Steven A. Kautz, Ph.D.
- Ph.D. Biomedical Engineering, University of California - Davis (1992)
- MA Geophysics, University of Texas (1987)
- BS Geophysics, Michigan State University, Honors College (1983)
- September 2015 - June 2020 Principal Investigator
"National Center of Neuromodulation for Rehabilitation (NC NM4R)”
NIH P2C HD086844
- October 2014 - September 2019 Principal Investigator
"Research Career Scientist"
VA Rehabilitation R&D
- June 2014 - March 2019 Principal Investigator
“South Carolina Research Center for Recovery from Stroke”
NIH P20 GM109040
- September 2013 - May 2018 Principal Investigator
NIH U54 GM104941
Subcontract from University of Delaware
- June 2012 - May 2013 Principal Investigator
"tDCS for walking recovery after stroke: Comparison of the cumulative effect of five sessions of cortical and spinal stimulation"
SCTR Discovery Pilot
- January 2012 - December 2014 Principal Investigator
"Do spinal and cortical tDCS suggest distinct and synergistic neuromechanical mechanisms for post-stroke walking recovery"
AHA Innovative Research Grant 12IRG9430057
- Dean JC and Kautz SA. (In press). Foot placement control and gait instability among stroke survivors. Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development.
- Clark DJ, Neptune RR, Behrman AL and Kautz SA. (In press). A locomotor adaptability task promotes intense and task-appropriate output from the paretic leg during walking. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- Chhatbar PY, Ramakrishnan V, Kautz SA, George MS, Adams RJ and Feng W. (In press). Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation Post-Stroke Upper Extremity Motor Recovery Studies Exhibit a Dose-Response Relationship. Brain Stimulation.
- Feng W, Wang J, Chhatbar PY, Doughty C, Landsittel D, Lioutas VA, Kautz SA and Schlaug G. (In press). Corticospinal Tract Lesion Load - A Potential Imaging Biomarker for Stroke Motor Outcomes. Annals of Neurology (in press).
- Bethoux F, Rogers H, Nolan K, Abrams G, Annaswamy T, Brandstater M, Browne B, Burnfield J, Feng W, Freed, M, Geis C, Greenberg J, Gudesblatt M, Ikramuddin F, Jayaraman A, Kautz SA, Lutsep H, Madhavan S, Meilahn J, Pease W, Rao N, Seetharama S, Sethi P, Turk M, Wallis RA and Kufta C. (In press). Long-Term Follow-up to a Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing Peroneal Nerve Functional Electrical Stimulation to an Ankle Foot Orthosis for Patients With Chronic Stroke. Neurorehabilitation & Neural Repair.
- Ovbiagele B, Kautz SA, Feng W, and Adkins DL. (2014). Poststroke Outcomes. Stroke Research and Treatment. Volume 2014, Article ID 828435.
- Allen JL, Kautz SA and Neptune RR. (2014). Forward propulsion asymmetry is indicative of changes in plantarflexor coordination during walking in individuals with post-stroke hemiparesis. Clinical Biomechanics. 29:780-6.
- Routson R, Kautz SA and Neptune RR. (2014). Modular organization across changing task demands in healthy and post-stroke gait. Physiological Reports. 2:e12055.
- Boan A, Feng S, Ovbiagele B, Bachman DL, Ellis C, Adams R, Kautz SA and Lackland D. (2014). Persistent Racial Disparity in Stroke Hospitalization and Economic Impact in Young Adults in the Buckle of Stroke Belt. Stroke. 45:1932-8.
- Vistamehr A, Kautz SA and Neptune RR (2014). The Influence of Solid Ankle-Foot-Orthoses on Forward Propulsion and Dynamic Balance in Healthy Adults during Walking. Clinical Biomechanics. 29:583-9.
- Bethoux F, Rogers H, Nolan K, Abrams G, Annaswamy T, Brandstater M, Browne B, Burnfield J, Feng W, Freed, M, Geis C, Greenberg J, Gudesblatt M, Ikramuddin F, Jayaraman A, Kautz SA, Lutsep H, Madhavan S, Meilahn J, Pease W, Rao N, Seetharama S, Sethi P, Turk M, Wallis RA and Kufta C. (2014). The Effects of Peroneal Nerve Functional Electrical Stimulation Versus Ankle-Foot Orthosis in Patients With Chronic Stroke: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Neurorehabilitation & Neural Repair. 28:688-77.
- Allen JL, Kautz SA and Neptune RR. (2014). The influence of merged muscle excitation modules on post-stroke hemiparetic walking performance. Clinical Biomechanics. 28:697-704.
- Nott CR, Neptune RR and Kautz SA. (2014). Frontal-plane angular momentum during walking relates to clinical balance measures in persons after stroke. Gait & Posture. 39:129-34.
- Fox EJ, Tester NJ, Kautz SA, Howland DR, Clark DJ, Garvan C & Behrman AL. (2013). Neuromuscular control across locomotor tasks in children with incomplete spinal cord injuries. Journal of Neurophysiology. 110:1415-25.
- Clark DJ, Kautz SA, Bauer AR, Chen Y-T and Christou EA (2013). Synchronous electromyogram activity in the Piper frequency band reveals the corticospinal demand of walking tasks. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 41:1778-86.
- Kautz SA. “Team Science: What Works & What Doesn’t.” MUSC SCTR Annual Mentorship Training Symposium, June 2015. Charleston, SC.
- Kautz SA. "Predicting biomechanical deficits from impaired module coordination after stroke." World Congress of Biomechanics, July 2014. Boston, MA.
- Kautz SA. “Improving stroke mobility and the crucial role of measuring coordination and biomechanics." World Congress of Biomechanics, July 2014. Boston, MA.
- Kautz SA. “Muscle synergy patterns in hemiparetic walking performance." Workshop on Muscle Synergies, Apr 2014. Venice, Italy.
- Kautz SA. “Exploration of excitatory and inhibitory cortical stimulation for walking recovery after stroke.” Frontiers in Neuroscience Meeting, Apr 2013. Charleston, SC.
- Kautz SA. “Center for Rehabilitation Research in Neurological Conditions: Recovery Research Program.” MUSC Foundation Board of Directors Meeting, Feb 2013. Charleston, SC.
Recent Honors & Awards
- College of Health Professions Scholar of the Year, 2015
- International Stroke Conference 1st Annual Stroke Rehabilitation Award, Feb 2015
- College of Health Professions Scholar of the Year, 2012