Abby Swanson Kazley
Abby Swanson Kazley, PhD
- PhD, Health Services Organization and Research, Virginia Commonwealth University, (2006)
- MT, General and Special Education, University of Virginia, (2001)
- BA, Sociology, University of Virginia, (2001)
Areas of Teaching
- Health Care Management
- Health Care Strategic Management
- HAP 719 Health Care Management
- HAP 739 Health Care Strategic Planning
- Stroke Prevention and Treatment
- Reducing Health Disparities / Access to Care
- Hospital Performance
- Health Information Technology
- Health Care Organizations
- Use of Educational Technology
- Kazley, A.S., and Ozcan, Y.A. (2007). Organizational and environmental determinants of hospital EMR adoption: a national study. Journal of Medical Systems. 31(5): 375-84.
- Kazley, A.S., and Ozcan, Y.A. (2008). Does hospital electronic medical record use increase health care quality? An examination of three clinical conditions. Medical Care Research and Review. 65(4): 496-513.
- Kazley, A.S., and Ozcan, Y.A. (2009). Electronic Medical Record Use and Efficiency: A DEA and Windows Analysis of Hospitals. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences. 43(3): 209-216.
- Teufel, R.J., Kazley, A.S., and Basco, W.T. (2009). Early Adopters of Computerized Physician Order Entry in Hospitals That Care for Children: A Picture of US Health Care Shortly After the Institute of Medicine Reports on Quality. Clinical Pediatrics. 48(4): 389-96.
- Kazley, A.S., Hillman, D.G., Johnston, K., and Simpson, K.N. (2010). Hospital Care for Patients Experiencing Weekends Vs Weekdays Stroke: A comparison of the quality and aggressiveness. Archives Neurology. 67(1): 39-44.
- Wager, K.A., Schaeffner, M.J., Foulois, B., Kazley, A.S., Parker, C., and Walo, H. (2010). Comparison of the Quality and Timeliness of Vital Signs Data During a Multi-Phase EHR Implementation. Computers, Informatics, and Nursing, 28(4): 205-212. ** Selected as CE article
- Moore, BR., Simpson, KN., Kay, W., and Kazley, AS. (2010). Piloting A Method To Measure Satisfaction With HIV Care. American Journal of Medical Quality. 25(5): 384-91
- Shoemaker, L, Kazley, AS, and White, A. (2010). Making the Case For Evidence-based design. A descriptive case study of decision making. Health Environments, Research and Design Journal. 4(1): 22-41.
- Fine, S, Loheide, L, Simpson, KN, Kazley, AS, and Clarke, R. ( December 2010). Tele-Intensivist Coverage of the Community Hospital ICU: Feasibility, Costs, and Consequences. HFMA Magazine.
- Kazley, AS, and Diana, MD. (2011). Does Hospital CPOE Use Mean Better Quality? A National Study. Health Care Management Review. 36(1): 86-94.
- Diana, MD, Kazley, AS, and Menachemi, N. (2011). An Assessment of Health Care Information and Management Systems Society and Leapfrog Data on Computerized Provider Order Entry. Health Services Research. 46(5): 1575-91. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2011.01259.x. [Epub ahead of print]
- Teufel, R, Kazley, AS, and Basco, W. (2011). Is computerized physician order entry use associated with a decrease on hospital resource utilization in hospitals that care for children? Journal of Medical Systems.
- Kazley, AS, Diana, MD, and Menachemi, N. (2011). The Agreement and Internal Consistency of National Hospital EMR Measures. Health Care Management Science. 14(4): 307-313.
- Kazley, AS, Diana, MD, Ford, E, and Menachemi, N. (2011). Is EHR Use Associated with Patient Satisfaction in Hospitals? Health Care Management Review. 37(1).
- Menachemi, N, Mazurenko, Kazley, AS, Diana, MD and Ford, WE. (2011). Market Factors and EMR Adoption in Medical Practices. Health Care Management Review.
- Diana, MD, Kazley, AS, Ford, WE, and Menachemi, N. (2012). Hospital Characteristics Related to the Intention to Apply for “Meaningful Use” Incentive Payments. American Health Information Management Association. (forthcoming)
- Shin, DY, Menachemi, N, Kazley, AS, Diana, M, and Ford, EW. (2012) Payer-Mix and EHR Adoption in Hospitals. Journal of Health Care Management. (forthcoming)
- Kazley, AS, McLeod, A, and Wager, KA. (2012). Assessing Telemedicine in an International Context: Definition, Use, Quality, Cost, and Future. Advances in Health Care Management Review. (forthcoming)
- MUSC Foundation for Teaching Excellence Developing Teacher of the Year 2009-2010
- MUSC College of Health Professions Developing Scholar of the Year 2008-2009