|Sarah Logan, PhD, MSCR|
Department of Healthcare Leadership and Management
151-B Rutledge Ave, MSC 962
Charleston, SC 29425
- PhD, Epidemiology, Medical University of South Carolina (2013)
- MSCR, Clinical Research, Medical University of South Carolina (2010)
- MS, Cytology and Bioscience, Medical University of South Carolina (2006)
- BS, Cytotechnology, Indiana University School of Medicine (2003)
- Focus areas: Methodologies for improving causal inference in the analysis of variations in practice patterns and trends in patient care modalities over time in high burden disease.
- Advisors: Kit Simpson, DrPH, and Annie Simpson, PhD estimates for the cost of care and cure for HCV, MUSC
Teaching & Research Interests
- Human anatomy: lectures and laboratory
- Health services research: comparative effectiveness research, evidence based practice in health care
- Introductory and advanced concepts in research design
- The research process: ethics, writing, review, and regulations data analysis. Special areas of interest include 1) Treatment studies, 2) Development of adherence measurement methods, 3) Systematic reviews and meta-analysis.
Honors & Awards
- 2013 Travel Award, San Sebastian Spain. International Society for Autism Research
- 2013 Trainee Travel Award, Ghana, West Africa. Center for Global Health, MUSC, Charleston, SC
- 2012 Travel Award, Tanzania, Student Interdisciplinary Professional Society, MUSC, Charleston, SC
- 2010 Southeastern Pre-doctoral Training in Clinical Research, TL1, NIH, Trainee Award Recipient
- 2007 Dean’s Scholar Award, College of Graduate Studies, MUSC, Charleston, SC
- 2006 Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need, Neuroanatomy Fellowship, MUSC, Charleston, SC
- 2003 Geraldine Colby Zeiler Award, American Society of Cytotechnology
- 2002 Dean’s List (Awarded 2002 and 2003), Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN
- 2002 Academic Excellence and Leadership Scholar, American Society of Clinical Pathology, Chicago, IL
- 2002 Highest Honors for Academic Excellence, 21st Century Scholars Program, Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN
Publications & Presentations
- Spratt EG, Logan SL, Papa CE, Asunda B, Gborkpah R, Yeboah NA, Mamani S, Swenson CC, Edwards CE, Miller B, Addo YO. Pilot Study: Home Visitation Interventions for Malnutrition in Rural Ghana. Darby Children’s Research Institue and Pediatric Research Day Conference, Charleston, SC, March 2015.
- Logan SL, Swenson CC. Children as Victims: Preventing and Reporting Child Maltreatment and Abuse. The Oxford Handbook of Behavioral Emergencies and Crises. 2015. DOI: 0.1093/oxfordhb/9780199352722.013.6.
- Logan SL, Carpenter LC, Leslie RS, Garrett-Mayer E, Hunt KS, Charles J, Nicholas JS. Aberrant Behaviors and Co-occurring Conditions as Predictors of Psychotropic Polypharmacy among Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology. In press.
- Spratt EG, Granholm AC, Carpenter LC, Boger H, Papa C, Logan SL, Chaudhary H, Boatwright SW, Brady, KT. Pilot Study and Review: Physiological Differences in BDNF, a Potential Biomarker in Males and Females with Autistic Disorder. International Neuropsychiatric Disease Journal. 2014; 3: doi: 10.9734/INDJ/2015/12118.
- Morrisette D, Cholewicki J, Logan S, Seif G, McGowan S. A Randomized Clinical Trial Comparing Extensible and Inextensible Lumbosacral Orthoses and Standard Care Alone in the Management of Lower Back Pain. Spine. 2014; 39:1733-1742.
- Logan SL, Carpenter LC, Leslie RS, Hunt KS, Garrett-Mayer E, Nicholas JS. Rates and Predictors of Adherence to Psychotropic Medications in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2014; 44(11):2931-48. doi: 10.1007/s10803-014-2156-0.
- Logan SL, Yeboah S, Yeboah N, Swenson CC. Bednet Use in a Malaria Prone Rural Village in Ghana. Unite for Site Global Health & Innovation Conference. New Haven, CT. 2014.
- Ricci R, Salatino A, Logan SL, Funk, AP. et al. Imaging the Neural Mechanisms of Visio-Spatial Perception with Interleaved TMS/fMRI Technique: Preliminary Evidence. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. 2012; 6:325. PMC3523259.
- Logan SL, Carpenter L, King L, Cheely C, Singh I, Charles J, Nicholas J. Biomarkers of Change in Social Impairment and Aberrant Behaviors Among Children with Autism. International Meeting for Autism Research, San Sebastian, Spain, 2013.
- Carpenter L, Logan SL, King L, Charles J, Devane L, Singh I, Jenner W, Cheely C, Nicholas J. Omega-3 Fatty Acid Supplementation in Children with Autism. International Meeting for Autism Research, Toronto, ON. 2012.
- Logan SL, Nicholas J, Carpenter L, King L, Garret-Mayer E, Charles J. High Prescription Drug Utilization and Associated Costs Among Medicaid-Eligible Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders Identified by a Population-based Surveillance Network. Annals of Epidemiology. 2012; 22(1):1-8. PMC3240812.
- Nicholas JS, Carpenter LA, King LB, Jenner W, Wahlquist A, Logan SL, Charles JM. Completeness of Case Ascertainment for Surveillance of Autism Spectrum Disorders using the Autism Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network Methodology. Disability and Health Journal. 2012; 5(3): 185-189. PMC4165334
- Korte J, Magruder K, Chiuzan C, Logan SL, Killeen T, Bandyopadhyay D, Brady K. Assessing Drug Use during Follow-up: direct comparison of candidate outcome definitions in pooled analyses of addiction treatment studies. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2011; 37(5): 358-366. PMC3164549
- Hunt K, Logan SL, Conway D, Korte J. Postpartum Screening Following Gestational Diabetes Mellitus: How Well are We Doing? Current Diabetes Reports. 2010; 10(3):235-241.
- Holladay EB, Logan SL, Arnold J, Knesel B, Smith, Denice. Comparison of the clinical utility of p16ink4a immune-localization with the presence of human papillomavirus by hybrid capture 2 for the detection of cervical dysplasia/neoplasia. Cancer Cytopathology. 2006; 108(6): 451-461.