Annie N. Simpson
| Annie Simpson, Ph.D.|
Department of Healthcare Leadership & Management
151-B Rutledge Ave, MSC 962
Charleston, SC 29425
- Ph.D. Health Rehabilitation Science, Medical University of South Carolina (2012)
- MSc Computer Science, University of York, York, United Kingdom (2002)
- BS Statistics, North Carolina State University (1998)
Areas of Teaching
- Comparative effectiveness research
- July 1, 2011 - June 30, 2015 Co-Investigator
"Evaluating Predictors and Interventions in Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction (EPISOD)"
- November 26, 2012 - March 12, 2014 Co-Investigator
"Pregnancy & Treatment Adherence in Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Infected Women of Child-bearing Age"
- March 11, 2013 - March 10, 2014 Co- Investigator
"Economic Model of TMS"
- June 1, 2012 - May 31, 2013 Health Services Researcher
"Experimental and Clinical Studies of Presbyacusis with applications to Health Services"
- August 1, 2011 - July 31, 2013 Health Services Researcher in Health Economic Evaluation
"Interventional Management of Stroke Phase III Trial – SDCC"
- September 1, 2009 - September 1, 2014 Database designer and user support trainer for REDCap
"South Carolina Clinical and Translational Research Institute (SCTR)"
- Hong I, Simpson AN, Logan S, Woo HS. Longitudinal Trends in Fall Accidents in Community Dwelling Korean Adults: the 2008 – 2013 Korean Community Health Survey. Annals of Rehabilitation Medicine. In press.
- Andrews AL, Simpson AN, Heine D, Teufel II, RJ (2015). A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Obtaining Blood Cultures in Children Hospitalized for Community Acquired Pneumonia. Journal of Pediatrics. In press.
- Simpson AN, Bonilha HS, Kazley AS, Zoller JS, Ellis C (2015). The Impact of Outpatient Rehabilitation Medicare Reimbursement Caps on Utilization and Cost of Rehabilitation Care after Ischemic Stroke: Do Caps contain costs? Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 96 (2015), pp. 1959-1965.
- Ford DW, Goodwin AJ, Simpson AN, Johnson E, Nadig N, Simpson KN (2015). A Severe Sepsis Mortality Prediction Model and Score for Use with Administrative Data. Critical Care Medicine. In press.
- Johnson EE, Simpson AN, Harvey JB, Lockett MA, Byrne KT, Simpson KN (2015). Trends in Bariatric Surgery, 2002-2012: Do Changes Parallel the Obesity Trend? Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. In press.
- Palesch Y, Yeatts S, Tomsick T, Foster L, Demchuk A, Khatri P, Hill M, Jauch E, Jovin T, Yan B, von Kummer R, Molina C, Goyal M, Schonewille W, Mazighi M, Engelter S, Anderson C, Spilker J, Carrozzella J, Janis L, Ryckborst K, Simpson AN, Simpson K, and Broderick J (2015). Twelve-month Clinical and Quality-of-Life Outcomes in the Interventional Management of Stroke III Trial. Stroke. May;46(5):1321-7.
- Simpson AN, Simpson KN, Dubno JR (2015). Health-related quality of life in older adults: effects of hearing loss and common chronic conditions. Healthy Aging Research 4:4.
- Simpson AN, and Simpson KN (2015). Chapter 11 in Medical Epidemiology: Population Health and Effective Health Care, Fifth Edition. Greenberg, Raymond (Ed). McGraw-Hill Education.
- Pourdeyhimi R, Wolf B J, Simpson AN, & Martz GU (2014). Adherence to outpatient epilepsy quality indicators at a tertiary epilepsy center. Epilepsy & Behavior, 39(0), 26-32.
- Bonilha HS, Simpson AN, Ellis C, Mauldin PD, Martin-Harris B, Simpson KN (2014). The One-Year Attributable Cost of Post-Stroke Dysphagia. Dysphagia. Oct; 29(5):545-52.
- Andrews AL, Simpson AN (2014). Systematic review and meta-analysis: Dexamethasone may be a viable alternative to prednisone/prednisolone for the treatment of acute asthma exacerbation in the paediatric emergency department. Evidence Based Medicine. Published Online First: 10 June 2014.
- Simpson KN, Simpson AN, Mauldin PD, Hill MD, Yeatts SD, Spilker JA, Foster LD, Khatri, P, Martin R, Jauch EC, Kleindorfer D, Palesch YY, Broderick JP, for the IMS III Investigators (2014). Drivers of Costs Associated with Reperfusion Therapy in Acute Stroke: The IMS III Trial. Stroke, April 17.
- Kazley AS, Simpson AN, Simpson KN, Teufel RJ. (2014) Electronic Health Records Association with Cost Savings in a National Sample. American Journal of Managed Care. 20(6):e183-e190.
- Andrews AL, Simpson AN, Basco WT, Jr., & Teufel RJ, II. (2013). Asthma Medication Ratio Predicts Emergency Department Visits and Hospitalizations in Children with Asthma. Medicare & Medicaid Research Review, 3(4), E1–E12.
- Simpson AN, Bonilha HS, Kazley AS, Zoller JS, Ellis C (2013). Marginal costing methods highlight the contributing cost of comorbid conditions in Medicare patients: A quasi-experimental case--control study of ischemic stroke costs. Cost Effective Resource Allocation, 11: 29.
- Li CY, Romero R, Bonilha H, Simpson K, Simpson AN, Hong I, & Velozo C. "Developing continuum of care assessment across post-acute care in Veterans." Poster presentation. Conference of American Occupational Therapy Association, Apr 2016. Chicago, IL.
- Li CY, Romero S, Simpson AN, Bonilha H, Simpson K, Hong I, Velozo C. "Comparing measurement precisions of short forms: Measuring self-care physical function in Veterans." Conference of American Occupational Therapy Association, Apr 2016. Chicago, IL.
- Li CY, Romero R, Simpson K, Simpson AN, Bonilha H, Hong I, Velozo C. "Comparing measurement accuracy of short forms: Individual point difference and Functional Related Group classification." Poster presentation. Conference of American Occupational Therapy Association, Apr 2016. Chicago, IL.
- Johnson EE, Simpson AN, Harvey JB, Simpson KN. "Diffusion of a surgical innovation: Identifying contextual factors with big data." Annual Conference on the Science of Dissemination and Implementation, Dec 2015. Washington, DC.
- Simpson AN, Simpson KN, Bonneh-Barkay D, Demitrack MA, Brock DG. "Using Propensity Score Methods to Combine multiple Data sources in order to Compare the Effectiveness of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) with Antidepressant Drug Therapy in the Treatment of Major Depression." International Conference on Health Policy Statistics, Oct 2015. Providence, RI.
- Simpson AN, Logan SL, Simpson KN, Kazley AS, Dubno JR. "Effects of covariate selection for propensity score models on multiple outcomes in non-treatment cohort studies." International Conference on Health Policy Statistics, Oct 2015. Providence, RI.
- Logan SL, Simpson AN, O’Neill C, Stocking N, Mintzer J, Simpson KN. "A comparison of advanced models of prescription drug utilization with application to a large commercially insured population of patients with dementia." International Conference on Health Policy Statistics, Oct 2015. Providence, RI.
- Harvey JI, Simpson AN, Kazley AS. "The Impact of Advanced Electronic Medical Records on Hospital Length of Stay." AcademyHealth Annual Research Conference, June 2015. Minneapolis, MN.
- Johnson EE, Simpson AN, Harvey JB, Simpson KN. "Diffusion of a Surgical Innovation: Bariatric Surgery in the US from 2002-2012." AcademyHealth Annual Research Conference, June 2015. Minneapolis, MN.
- Nadig N, Goodwin A, Simpson KN, Simpson AN, Ford D. "Clinical Implications and Biases involved in Inter-ICU Transfers." American Thoracic Society Meeting, May 2015. Denver, CO.
- Hong I, Simpson AN, Li C, & Velozo CA. "Development of an Upper Extremity Function Measurement Model." International Outcomes Measurement Conference, Apr 2015. Chicago, IL.
- Anderson K, Woodbury M, Simpson AN. "How can national survey data be used to inform rehabilitation treatment practice post-stroke?" Research Poster. DE-CTR ACCEL Annual Meeting, Feb 2015. Charleston, SC.
- Simpson KN, Simpson AN, Mauldin PD, Hill MD, Yeatts SD, Spilker JA, Foster LD, Khatri P, Martin R, Jauch EC, Kleindorfer D, Palesch YY, Broderick JP, for the IMS III Investigators. "Cost Effectiveness of Endovascular Therapy for Patients with Severe Acute Stroke: Results from the IMS III Trial 12 Months Economic Follow-up Cohort." International Stroke Conference, Feb 2015. Nashville, TN.
- Aaron SE, Gregory CM, Simpson AN. "Associations of Post-stroke Depression with Subjectively assessed Physical Activity Levels: NHANES 2011-2012." MUSC Student Research Day, Nov 2014. Charleston, SC.
- Wilmskoetter J, Simpson AN, Simpson KN, Bonilha HS. "Practice Patterns of PEG Tube Placement in Acute Stroke Patients: Trend Analysis of HCUP Florida State Data 2001-2012." MUSC Student Research Day, Nov 2014. Charleston, SC.
Recent Honors & Awards
- MUSC College of Health Professions Developing Scholar of the Year Award, 2014
- MUSC Alpha Eta National Honor Society for Allied Health Professionals, 2013
- MUSC College of Health Professions Rowley Academic Enhancement Award in Rehabilitation Science, 2011