Cristina Reyes Smith
Cristina Reyes Smith, OTD, OTR/L
- OTD Occupational Therapy, Thomas Jefferson University (2010)
- MS Occupational Therapy, Medical University of South Carolina (2006)
- BA Art History, College of Charleston (2000)
Areas of Teaching
- Delivery and Management of Occupational Therapy Services
- Professional Issues in Occupational Therapy
- Leadership and Advocacy for Occupational Therapy
- Consumer Access to Occupational Therapy
- Developmental Disabilities
- Horowitz, B. P., Lopez, A., & Smith, C. R. (2018). Culturally competent strategies: Evidence and case studies to improve health and occupational participation in the United States, World Federation of Occupational Therapists Bulletin, DOI: 10.1080/14473828.2018.1432313
- Vesely, P. & Smith, C. R. (2016). Alegría: A dance-based community health education program for Spanish-speaking families. SIS Quarterly Practice Connections: A Supplement to OT Practice, 1(1), 4-5.
- Wilson, S., Anvarizadeh, A. Drazen, C. H., Holland, D., Kwebetchou, N., Smith, C. R., & Skowronski, J. (2015). Diversity in the workforce: Perspectives from emerging leaders. OT Practice Magazine, 20(21), 19-20.
- Smith, C.R., Drazen, C.H., & Toth-Cohen, S. (2014). No hablo inglés: Client-centered occupational therapy practice with Spanish-speaking clients, OT Practice Magazine, 19(22), 8-12.
- Smith, C. R., Drazen, C. H., Anvarizadeh, A., de Arellano, M., Wilson, S., Smet, N., Skowronski, J., Bloom, P. J., Smith, K., Bennett, C., Chisholm, D., Dunbar, S., Gargin, K., Suarez-Balcazar, Y., Banks, F. M., Gray, J. M., Faust, S., & van den Heever, N. “Promoting a Diverse Workforce in Occupational Therapy Through Student Recruitment and Retention.” AOTA National Conference Pre-Conference Institute, April 2017. Philadelphia, PA.
- Horowitz, B., Cheng, P., Lopez, A., & Smith, C. R. “Occupational Therapy for All: Addressing the Needs of Diverse People and Communities.” AOTA National Conference Short Course, April 2017. Philadelphia, PA.
- Drazen, C. H., Anvarizadeh, A., & Smith, C. R. “The Coalition of Occupational Therapy Advocates for Diversity.” 2016 Academic Leadership Council and Fieldwork Educators Meeting, October 2016. San Diego, CA.
- Smith, C. R., Suarez-Balcazar, Y., Drazen, C. H., Colon, A., Stoffel, A., & Husband, M. “Terapia Pediátrica: Culturally‐Responsive OT Practice with Spanish‐Speaking Children and Their Families.” American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) National Conference, Apr 2016. Chicago, IL.
- Drazen, C. H., Anvarizadeh, A., Kwebetchou, N., Smith, C. R., Wilson, S., Skowronski, J., & Pearson, A. “Developing a Diverse Workforce: Recruitment and Retention of a Diverse Occupational Therapy Student Body.” AOTA National Conference, Apr 2016. Chicago, IL.
- Smith, C.R. “Current Topics and Trends in Pediatric Practice: Client-Centered Occupational Therapy Practice with Spanish-Speaking Clients.” SCOTA State Conference, Feb 2016. Charleston, SC.
- Smith, C.R. “No Hablo Ingles: Cultural Considerations for Service Delivery with Spanish-Speaking Populations.” MUSC College of Health Professionals Student Health Professionals United in Recognizing Diversity (SHPURD) Hispanic-American Heritage Month Presentation, Oct 2015. Charleston, SC.
- Drazen, C. H., Anvarizadeh, A., Holland, D.; Kwebetchou, N.; Smith, C. R., Skowronski, J., & Wilson, S.. "Promoting a Diverse Workforce: Actualizing the Centennial Vision." AOTA National Conference, Apr 2015. Nashville, TN.
- Smith, C.R., Anvarizadeh, A., Holland, D., Drazen, C. H., Kwebetchou, N. & Wilson, S. "Diversity in the Workforce: Perspectives from Emerging Leaders." AOTA National Conference, Apr 2014. Baltimore, MD.
- Smith, C.R, Glessman, K., Grimsley, A., & Simermeyer, J. "Sensorimotor Success – Sensorimotor Activities and Strategies to Enhance Daily Life." Family Connections of South Carolina, 2014. Columbia, SC.
- Smith, C.R. "Common Spanish and Sign Language for Pediatric Practice." SCOTA Lowcountry District Fall Meeting and Continuing Education Sessions, 2013. Charleston, SC.
- Smith, C.R., Hoyt, C., Toth-Cohen, S., Holland, D., Vesely, P., Will, K., & Miller, K. "No Hablo Ingles: Client-Centered Occupational Therapy Practice with Spanish-Speaking Clients." AOTA National Conference, Apr 2013. San Diego, CA.
Recent Honors & Awards
- College of Health Professions Black History Month Achievement in Diversity Award, 2018
- Nominated for Earl B. Higgins University Leadership in Diversity Award, 2018
- Nominated for MUSC Educator-Mentor Award, 2017
- Nominated for Earl B. Higgins University Leadership in Diversity Award, 2017
- Emily L. Moore and J. Herman Blake CARE Fund Award for Pioneer Volunteer Faculty Leaders in the CARES Therapy Clinic, 2013
- American Occupational Therapy Association Emerging Leaders Development Program Participant, 2012