David O. Sword, PT, DPT, CCS, CEP, CSCS
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, Massachusetts General Hospital (2006)
- BS Physical Therapy, Medical University of South Carolina (1993)
- MS Exercise Science, Oakland University (1988)
- BS Sports Medicine, Eastern Michigan University (1986)
Areas of Teaching
- Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy
- Applied Physiology
- Health Promotion
- Obesity and Weight Management
- The role of exercise in the prevention and management of chronic disease
- November 2015 - October 2016 Participating Faculty
"CARES Biggest Loser"
Department of Health Professions Interdivisional/Interdepartmental/Intercollege Seed Grant Program
- April 1, 2014 - March 31, 2015 Participating Faculty
"Obesity Management and Prevention Using Telehealth to Connect Rural Primary Care Practices"
- January 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014 Participating Faculty
"Two for One: Improving Access to Obesity Treatment by Delivering an Interprofessional Training Curriculum to Future Healthcare Providers"
- Yuen, H. K., Wang, E., Holthaus, K., Vogtle, L. K., Sword, D., Breland, H. L., & Kamen, D. L. (2013). Brief Report—Self-reported versus objectively assessed exercise adherence. American Journal of Occupational Therapy. 67, 1–6.
- Brown J, Turner T, Sword D, Holes-Lewis K, O’Neil PM. "Two for One: Improving Access to Obesity Treatment by Delivering an Interprofessional Training Curriculum to Future Healthcare Providers." Poster Presentation. The Obesity Society Annual Meeting, Nov 2015. Los Angeles, CA.
- Sword D. "Exercise: Titrate for Desired Effects." Evidence-Based Drug Therapy Update, May 2015. North Charleston, SC.
- Sword D, Thomas KJ, Wise H, Brown D. "A Simplified Method for Evaluating Cardiopulmonary Auscultation Skills in Physical Therapy Students." Poster Presentation. American Physical Therapy Association Educational Leadership Conference, Oct 2014. Kansas City, MO.
- Buff S, Wells E, Brown D, Sword D, Wise H. "Scaling up Best Practices in Community-based Health Professional Education: Interprofessional service learning with Junior Doctors of Health." Poster Presentation. Institute of Medicine, May 2014. Washington, DC.
Recent Honors & Awards
- College of Health Professions Teacher of the Year Award Nominee, 2006-2007