K. Jackson Thomas
K. Jackson Thomas, PT, EdD
Office: CHP B341
- B.S., Physical Therapy, University of Central Arkansas, 1987
- Ed.D., Higher Education College Teaching, University of Arkansas, 1985
- M.S., Biology (Anatomy/Physiology), University of Arkansas, 1972
- B.A., Biology, Hendrix College, 1968
Areas of Teaching
- Pathology and Pathophysiology
- Medical Imaging
Academic Courses Currently Taught
- Human Gross Anatomy
- Imaging and Electrodiagnosis
- Clinical Anatomy of the Upper Limb
- Research Seminar
- Anatomy for Nurse Anesthetists
- Clinical Reasoning and Practice
- Clinical Pathophysiology
- Transforming Health Care for the Future
- Non-traditional teaching methods for laboratory gross anatomy
- Exercise and aging
- Physical activity programs and physical activity behaviors among individuals with spinal cord injury
- Cope JM, Sanders E, Holt S, Pappas K, Thomas KJ, Kernick E, Starr K, Corriher L, Templeton D. Comparison of personal formaldehyde levels in the anatomy laboratories of five physical therapy education programs. J Phys Ther Ed. 2011:25;21-29.
- Thomas KJ, Denham B, Dinolfo J. Perceptions among occupational and physical therapy students of a non-traditional methodology for teaching laboratory gross anatomy. Anat Sci Educ.2011:4;71-77.
- Thomas KJ, Wise HH, Nietert PJ, Brown DD, Sword DP, Diehl N. Interaction with a health care professional influences change in physical activity behaviors among individuals with impaired mobility secondary to spinal cord injury. Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehab, 2011:17;94-106.
- Wise HH, Thomas KJ, Nietert PJ, Brown DD, Sword DP, Diehl N. Home physical activity programs for the promotion of health and wellness in individuals with spinal cord injury. Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehab. 2009;14:122-132.
- Home Physical Activity Programs for the Prevention of Secondary Conditions in Individuals with Spinal Cord Injury. South Carolina Spinal Cord Injury Research Fund. Principal Investigator HH Wise, Co-Principal Investigator KJ Thomas.
- Assessment and Treatment of Musculoskeletal Pain in the Shoulder Girdle in Spinal Cord Injuries through Surface-Recorded EMG and EMG Biofeedback. Principal Investigator S Middaugh, Co-Principal Investigator KJ Thomas.
- Preferred Intensity for Exercise Modes in Elderly Adults. Principal Investigator KJ Thomas.
- Exercise Testing in Older Adults. Principal Investigator KJ Thomas.
- Physical and Psychological Effects of a Combined Strength and Endurance Program for Older Adults – A Pilot Study. Principal Investigator KJ Thomas.
- Teacher of the Year. Awarded by the MUSC College of Health Professions, November, 2011.
- Dorothy Baethke-Eleanor J. Carlin Award for Excellence in Academic Teaching. American Association of Physical Therapy. Awarded by the American Physical Therapy Association, June, 2011.
- MUSC Master Teacher. Awarded by the MUSC Board of Trustees, April, 2007.
- Outstanding Didactic Instructor Award. Awarded by the College of Health Professions Anesthesia for Nurses Program, December, 2006, 2009, and 2010.
- American Physical Therapy Association
- South Carolina Chapter of the American Physical Therapy Association
- Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society