Karen A. Wager
Karen A. Wager, DBA
Office: CHP A321
- DBA, Information Systems, University of Sarasota (1999)
- MHA-HIA, Concentration in Finance and Information Systems Medical University of South Carolina (1988)
- BS, Health Record Administration, University of Pittsburgh (1982)
Areas of Teaching
- Management and Health Information Systems
- Healthcare Delivery Systems
- Managing Health Information Resources
- Adoption and use of electronic health records
- Impact of clinical information systems on organizations (e.g., effiency, safety, quality)
- Use of information technology and its impact of physician-patient relationships
- 2008 South Carolina Governor’s Distinguished Professor Award
- 2008 MUSC Health Science Foundation Teaching Excellence Award, Educator-Lecturer Category
- CHP Faculty Representative, MUSC Presidential Scholars Program, 2005 to present.
- Developing Scholar of the Year, College of Health Professions, Medical University of South Carolina, (1999)
- Wager, K.A., Lee, F.W., and Glaser, J.P. (2009). Health Care Information Systems: A Practical Approach for Health Care Management—Second Edition. Jossey-Bass, San-Francisco.
- Wager, K.A., Lee, F.W., and Glaser, J.P. (2005). Managing Health Care Information Systems: A Practical Approach for Health Care Executives. Jossey-Bass, San-Francisco.
- Wager, K.A., Lee, FW, Glaser, JP (2013). Health Care Information Systems: A Practical Approach for Health Care Management. Third Edition. Jossey-Bass, SanFrancisco, CA.
- Kazley, AS, McLeod, A., and Wager, KA. (2012) Assessing Telemedicine in an International Context: Definition, Use, Quality, Cost, and Future. Advances in Health Care Management Review, 12, 143-169.
- Wager, K.A., Schaffner, M.J., Foulious, B., Kazley, A.S., Parker, C., and Walo, H. (2010). Comparison of the Quality and Timeliness of Vital Signs Data Using Three Different Data-Entry Devices. Computers, Informatics, Nursing, (28) 4, 205-212.
- Ragucci, K.R., Steyer, T., Wager, K.A., West, V.T., and Zoller, J.S. (2009). The Presidential Scholars Program at the Medical University of South Carolina: An extracurricular approach to interprofessional education, Journal of Interprofessional Care, 1-14.
- Clark,F.C., Wager, K.A., Waller, J.L. (2008). Get your running shoes on—We’re fast tracking an EMR. Proceedings of the 2008 Health Information and Management Systems Society, Orlando, FL.
- Wager, K.A., Zoller, J.S., Soper, D.E., Smith, J.B., Waller, J.L., Clark, F.C. (2008). Assessing physician and nurse satisfaction with an ambulatory care EMR: One facility's approach. International Journal of Healthcare Information Systems and Informatics, 3 (1), 63-74.
- Wager, K.A., Ward, D.M., Lee, F.W., White, A.W., Davis, K.S., Clancy, D., (2005) Physicians, patients and EHRs - When it comes to a consultation, is three a crowd: Journal of the American Health Information Management Association, 76(4), 38-41.
- Wager, K.A., Lee, F.W., Bradford, W.D., Jones, W., and Kilpatrick, A.O., (2004). Qualitative Evaluation of South Carolina's Postpartum/Infant Home Visit Program. Public Health Nursing 21 (6), 541-546.
- Lee, F.W., Wager, K.A., White, A.W., Ward, D.M., (2004, April). EMR Practice Research in a Busy Ambulatory Care Clinic: The Lessons Learned. Journal of the American Health Information Management Assocation.
- Wager, K.A., Lee, F.W., White, A.W. (2001). Life after a disastrous electronic medical record implementation: One clinic's experience. Annals of Cases on Information Technology, 3: 153-168.
- Wager, K.A., Lee, F.W., White, A.W., Ward, D.M., Ornstein, S.M. (2000). Impact of electronic medical record system on community-based primary care practices. Journal of the American Board of Family Practice, 13 (5), 338-348.
- White, A.W., Wager, K.A., Lee, F.W. (2000). An HIA faculty perspective of an interdisciplinary review process for improving teaching effectiveness. Educational Perspectives in Health Information Management, 3 (2).
- Ornstein, S.M., MacFarlane, L.L., Jenkins, R.G., Pan, Q., Wager, K.A. (1999, Mar/Apr). Medication cost information in a computer-based patient record. Archives of Family Medicine, 8: 118-121.
- Bradford, W.D., Ward, D.M., Graber, D., Jones, W., Kilpatrick, A., and Wager, K.A. (2004). Impact of Smoking and Obesity on Medicaid Health Care Utilization. SC DHHS, State Medicaid Program. $400,000.
- Bradford, W.D., Wager, K.A., Jones, W., Graber, D. Ward, D.M., White, A.W., (2003). Out of Home Placement Evaluation Study. SC DHHS, State Medicaid Program. (Project director and co-investigator). $400,000.
- Bradford, W.D., Lee, F.W., Jones, W., Kilpatrick, A., Wager, K.A., (2002). Postpartum/Infant Home Visit Evaluation Study. South Carolina Medicaid Program, DHHS. $170,702.
- Wager, K.A., White, A.W., Lee, F.W., Clancy, D. (2001-2002). The impact of direct entry into the EMR on the physician-patient relationship. American Health Information Management Association, FORE Foundation., $38,983. (Principal investigator) $38,983.
- Wager, K.A.and Ornstein, S.M. (July, 1998). The impact of computer-based patient records on primary care practice from an organizational and economical perspective. College of Health Professions, MUSC, $5,000. (Principal investigator). $5,000.
- Wager, K.A. and Ornstein, S.M. (May, 1998). The impact of computer-based patient records on primary care practice from an organizational and economical perspective. Physician Micro Systems, Inc., $7500 (Principal Investigator). $7,500.
- Ward, D.M., Silverstein, M., Ornstein, S., Lee, F., Wager, K. (1998). The allocation of preventive resources in South Carolina: Assessing the efficiency, equity, and distribution. Healthy South Carolina Initiative. MUSC, $146,824. (Co-investigator) $146,824.
- Lee, F. W., Wager, K.A., and White, A. W. (1997). Internet course: Health information systems for health professions. MUSC Information Technology Innovative Grants Program, $2250. (Co-investigator)
- Wager, K.A. and Lee, F. W. (1996). Factors influencing satisfaction with and usage of Oacis at the Medical University of South Carolina. College of Health Professions Research Grant, awarded $2034. (Principal Investigator)
- Johnson, P., Thomas, J., Trickey, B., Wager, K., West, V. and Shilling, L., (October, 1993) An Interdisciplinary Approach to Integrating Teaching, Service and Research in Geriatrics", Allied Health Project Grant, Health and Human Services. $407,933. (Co-investigator).