Michelle L. Woodbury, PhD, OTR/L
Office: CHP C307
- PhD Rehabilitation Science, 2006, University of Florida, Gainesville FL
- M.A. Intercultural Studies, 1995, Columbia International University, Columbia, SC
- B.S. Occupational Therapy, 1986, Elizabethtown College, Elizabethtown, PA
Areas of Teaching
- Neurorehabilitation Occupational Therapy
- Research Seminar
- Stroke Rehabilitation
- Director of the Upper Extremity Motor Function Lab
- We study the efficacy of rehabilitation interventions targeted at improving upper extremity motor function in persons with neurological disorders. It is critically important to; (1) measure specific upper extremity motor abilities and processes that are impaired with central nervous system injury/disease (2) develop new or refine existing interventions targeted at these motor abilities and (3) understand how rehabilitation affects these motor abilities. Importantly, we aim to integrate real-world rehabilitation therapists and students into our research practices in order to establish ongoing and dynamic two-way translations of rehabilitation knowledge.
- Bowden MG., Behrman AL., Woodbury M., Gregory CM., Velozo CA., Kautz SA., (2012) Advancing measurement of locomotor rehabilitation outcomes to optimize interventions and differentiate between recovery versus compensation. Journal of Neurological Physical Therapy, 36(1): 38-44. PMID: 22333921.
- Bowden MG, Woodbury ML, Duncan PW. (2012) Promoting neuroplasticity and recovery after stroke: future directions for rehabilitation clinical trials. Current Opinion in Neurology. Dec 15 Epub ahead of print, PMID: 23254556.
- Dukes, P, Hayes A, Hodges LF, Woodbury ML. (2013) Punching ducks for post-stroke neurorehabilitation: system design and initial clinical feasibility. 2013 IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces, (in press for March 2013 publication).
- Woodbury, ML., Fritz, SL., Blanton S., Wolf, SL. (2013) History and development of Constraint Induced Movement Therapy for adults with stroke, in The Handbook of Pediatric Constraint Induced Movement Therapy: Translating Theory into Clinical Practice and Functional Occupations, Ramey, SL., DelLuca, S, Coker-Bolt, P., editors, American Occupational Therapy Association (in Press).
- Velozo, CA., Woodbury, ML. (2011) Translating measurement findings into rehabilitation practice: an example using the Fugl-Meyer Assessment of the Upper Extremity with clients following stroke. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 48(10): 1211-1222.
- Woodbury, ML, Velozo, CA., Thompson, PA., Light, K., Uswatte, G., Taub E., Winstein, CJ., Morris, D., Blanton, S., Nichols-Larsen, DS., Wolf,SL., (2010) Measurement Structure of the Wolf Motor Function Test: implications for motor control theory, Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair 24 (9): 791-801. DOI: 1545968310370749
- Woodbury, ML, Howland, DR., McGuirk TE., Davis, SB., Senesac, CR., Kautz, S., Richards, LG. (2009) Effect of trunk restraint combined with intensive task practice on poststroke upper extremity reach and function: a pilot study, Neurorehabilitation Neural Repair, 23(1): 78-91
- Woodbury ML, Velozo CA, Richards LG, Duncan PW, Studenski S, Lai S-M. (2008) Longitudinal Stability of the Fugl-Meyer Assessment of the Upper Extremity. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 89(8):1563-1569
- Woodbury, ML, Velozo, CA., Richards, LG., Duncan, PW., Lai, S-M, Studenski, S. (2007) Dimensionality and Construct Validity of the Fugl-Meyer Assessment of the Upper Extremity, Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 88(6):715-732.
- Patient-Targeted Upper Extremity Rehabilitation After Stroke, VA Rehabilitation R&D Merit Review Award, Principal Investigator - Ralph H Johnson VAMC, July 2013 - June2017.
- Developing an Upper Extremity Motor Behavior Assessment Toolbox, Career Development Award-2, Principal Investigator - Ralph H Johnson VAMC, Veterans Administration Rehabilitation Research and Development Service, September 2008 - September 2012.
- Establishing a Neurorehabilitation Research Clinical Integration Group, MUSC YES Family Fund, Principal Investigator, June 2011 – June 2012
- Mentored 1st place winning graduate student research poster, Medical University of South Carolina Student Research Day, 2012
- Mentored winning graduate student research posters, 1st and 2nd places, Medical University of South Carolina Student Research Day, 2011
- Mentored winning graduate student research posters, 1st and 2nd places, Medical University of South Carolina Student Research Day, 2010
- Nominated for Teacher of the Year Award, College of Public Health and Health Professions, University of Florida, 2009
- Outstanding Doctoral Student Research, University of Florida, 2006, 2005, 2003
- Developing Teacher Award, Medical University of South Carolina, 2001
- Teaching Excellence Award Finalist, Medical University of South Carolina, 2001, 2000
- American Occupational Therapy Association
- American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine