We favor the following criteria in admissions decisions:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. A GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is necessary to be competitive. Previous graduate work should reflect a GPA of 3.0 or above.
- A competitive score on the GRE or the GMAT is required for residential MHA applicants. For Executive MHA students, if the applicant does not have an overall grade point average of 3.0 or higher from their undergraduate school, a GRE or GMAT is required. A GRE score above the 50th percentile for both the verbal and quantitative sections, and 4 or higher on the analytical section; or GMAT score of 500 suggests a student’s ability to be successful in the program. If your score is significantly below the suggested minimum level, you should consider retaking the exam to determine if your score is appropriately representative.
- Three reference forms from individuals who can comment on the applicant’s professional background, academic capabilities, and motivation. (Applicants provide the email address of 3 individuals on the application and the recommendation form is electronically sent to be completed.)
- Undergraduate courses (one each) in statistics and in microeconomics should be completed prior to entering the program. (Undergraduate Accounting is suggested but not required.)
- Students should have working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software.
- For MHA Executive Track candidates, one or more years of health care experience is required. A resume should be submitted.
Checklist for All MHA Applicants:
- Confirm prerequisites (undergraduate statistics and microeconomics)
- Complete university application. Supplemental essay to be written on application and email addresses of 3 references.
- GRE or GMAT scores required for all Residential students. GRE or GMAT scores required for Executive students who do not have a 3.0 or higher on undergraduate work.
- Application fee
- Official transcripts of all college work
Please note: All above information must be received before an admission decision can be made. It is the applicant's responsibility to review the progress of his/her application by viewing: musc.edu/admissions/current/progress.html
EMHA Complete Application deadlines
RMHA Complete Application Deadlines
RMHA – December through May
EMHA – Interviews not required
RMHA – January through July
EMHA – Acceptance offers are made once an application is complete