About the Program
The Physician Assistant program at MUSC is the perfect place to gain the skills, knowledge and experience to grab hold of this exciting, evolving career. The College of Health Professions offers a Master of Science degree for individuals seeking to become Physician Assistants.
Physicians Assistants play a critical role delivering high-quality, affordable health care to the nation. Futurists tell us this career is poised for tremendous growth, as our population ages and the number of physicians declines.
Increasingly, PA’s “write their own tickets,” balancing offers from numerous employers (critical needs exist in rural and inner-city settings). In South Carolina, the PA is considered a key to our state’s healthy future. A love of life-long learning and an affinity for patient care are key contributors to success. The College of Health Professions also offers a Fellowship program, and numerous Continuing Medical Education opportunities.
The Physician Assistant Studies program assesses its success through the accomplishments of our students and alumni. In order to ensure its success, the program strives to:
- Be fully compliant with all standards established by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant, Inc. (ARC-PA);
- To enroll competitive applicants representing the rich diversity of the populations of South Carolina and the nation;
- To educate physician assistants with the knowledge, skills and abilities to provide quality health care;
- To graduate students who are highly satisfied with the quality of their education, the state of their professional development, and their overall capability to function as a physician assistant; and
- To engage our alumni in strengthening the profession by supporting the education of the next generation of physician assistants