Mission, Vision and Goals
To enhance access to high quality health care throughout South Carolina and beyond.
To educate highly competent physician assistants who are compassionate, culturally aware, and attuned to the primary health care needs of the people of SC and beyond. They will be prepared to:
- provide quality, state-of-the-art, patient-centered care as integral members of physician-led health care teams;
- contribute to the dissemination of new knowledge to improve physician assistant education and health care;
- advocate for the physician assistant profession; and
- help meet the health needs of the larger community through education and service.
- Quality, safe, and accessible patient-centered healthcare
- Responding compassionately and respectfully to the needs of the population served
- Ethical and professional behavior
- Diversity and inclusion
- Confident life-long learners
- Advancing medical knowledge
- Virtuous leadership
Student Learning Outcomes*:
At the completion of the Program, graduates will be able to:
- Elicit a detailed and accurate medical history, perform a complete physical examination, and appropriately record all pertinent data;
- Perform and interpret routine diagnostic studies;
- Perform or refer appropriately for therapeutic procedures;
- Provide complete and accurate patient assessment in order to formulate an appropriate management plan in a variety of healthcare settings;
- Provide appropriate patient education and counseling to address health maintenance and disease prevention; and
- Facilitate the appropriate referral of patients to address their medical and social welfare needs.
The Physician Assistant Studies Program assesses its own success by the success of its students and alumni. The program strives to:
- Be fully compliant with all standards established by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant, Inc. (ARC-PA);
- Enroll competitive applicants representing the rich diversity of the populations of South Carolina and the nation;
- Educate physician assistants with the knowledge, skills and abilities to provide quality health care;
- Graduate students who are highly satisfied with the quality of their education, the state of their professional development, and their overall capability to function as a physician assistant.