91 hours of prerequisite coursework is required.
Please read below for specifics regarding prerequisite courses. For other required materials, click here.
*Please note that a Bachelor’s degree is not required for admission to the Program.
|*Courses highlighted in blue are used to calculate the science-math GPA.|
|Prerequisite Courses||Semester Hours|
|Statistics or Biostatistics||3|
|General Chemistry - includes lab||8|
|Organic or Biochemistry||3|
|Biology - includes lab||4|
|Anatomy - includes lab||4|
|Physiology - includes lab||4|
|Microbiology - includes lab||4|
|Behavioral Sciences - General Psychology (required) plus six credits of Psychology electives and/or Sociology courses||9|
|Humanities - Choose from at least two areas: Examples are speech, foreign language, literature, philosophy, economics, history, political science, ethics, and geography.||12|
|Electives - Communication, Computer Science, Epidemiology and Genetics suggested. Courses must be liberal arts/sciences and not professional or technical in nature.||30|
Important information about your prerequisite courses:
- For a guide to Frequently Approved Prerequisites, click here.
- Prerequisite courses should be completed at regionally accredited 2 or 4 year colleges or universities.
- The MUSC Office of Enrollment Management offers unofficial transcript evaluations from March 1st - June 30th. Send requests to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Courses can only be applied towards the prerequisite requirement if a grade of "C" or higher was earned. A prerequisite course may be retaken, and if a higher grade is earned upon retaking a course, the second grade will be used to calculate the prerequisite GPA and science-math GPA. However, both grades will be reflected in the cumulative GPA. Survey courses are not acceptable to satisfy science requirements.
- Applicants for admission are expected to complete their general education and support course requirements prior to admission to the professional physician assistant curriculum. An applicant may have up to 16 hours of prerequisite coursework outstanding at the time of application to the Program, as well as any prerequisite coursework the applicant is enrolled in during the time of application. However, all prerequisites must be completed and final grades submitted to the MUSC Office of Enrollment Management prior to entering the Program.
- Combined Anatomy and Physiology courses are accepted; however, an applicant MUST take Anatomy and Physiology I and II to fulfill the separate Anatomy and Physiology requirements.
- It is required that prerequisite coursework in science, math, and behavioral science be completed within the past 10 years. Coursework in these areas not taken within 10 years will not be deemed acceptable by the Program.
- The Program defines behavioral sciences as appropriate level instruction in the following educational domains: anthropology, abnormal psychology, adult psychology/aging, child psychology, child growth and development, developmental psychology, exceptional child studies, human growth and development, lifespan/human development, psychology, sociology, and social work.
- Finally, any questions regarding prerequisite coursework should be submitted by email to the Admissions Specialist at email@example.com.