History of Colcock Hall
Charles Jones Colcock
Colcock Hall was first named Butler Hall for Confederate General Matthew Calbraith Butler, a U.S. Senator from South Carolina who co-sponsored the joint resolution of Congress for the transfer of the property to Porter Military Academy. In 1919 it was renamed for Charles Jones Colcock, the second headmaster and rector of the Academy. Born in Beaufort in 1852, Colcock was the grandson of Judge Charles Jones Colcock, who served as the first president of Board of Trustees of the Medical College of the State of South Carolina from 1834 to 1836. The younger Colcock attended the College of Charleston for two years before heading north to Union College in Schenectady, New York. He stayed at Union and taught math for three years before returning to South Carolina and a teaching position at Porter Military Academy. He became head master in 1890 and rector in 1902 after the death of A. Toomer Porter.