History of Colcock Hall
In 1825, the United States government acquired the land now bounded by Bee, Doughty, President and Ashley. Charleston architect Edward Brickell White designed the complex of buildings collectively known as the Charleston Arsenal, which was built between 1825 and 1832. On December 30, 1860, the South Carolina militia seized the arsenal, making it one of the first federal properties to fall into Confederate hands. At the war’s end, Federal troops reclaimed it and occupied the site from 1865 until 1879, when it was decommissioned as a military installation.