History of Colcock Hall

Porter Military Academy

Porter Military Academy was established in 1867 by Reverend Doctor Anthony Toomer Porter as “The Orphan Home and School Association of The Church of the Holy Communion.” Originally intended as a school for boys orphaned by the Civil War, the school changed its name in 1880 to “The Holy Communion Church Institute.” That same year the school took over the site of the federal arsenal on the corner of Ashley Avenue and Bee Street. The name was changed to The Porter Military Academy in 1886 to honor its founder, Dr. A. Toomer Porter.

 
 
 

© 2014  Medical University of South Carolina | Disclaimer