COLLEGE OF MEDICINE
WELCOME TO THE CLASS OF 2018
Dear Class of 2018,
Congratulations on your acceptance to the Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine! This letter contains important information about the orientation schedule as well as tasks that need to be completed before orientation.
Orientation will be August 13-15, 2014
Your attendance at all orientation events on campus is mandatory. Be on the lookout via email for more information about the orientation schedule and location.
● Welcome Beach Day* Tuesday, August 12th - 12:00 PM-until
● First Year Orientation Wednesday, August 13th - Friday, August 15th
● Aquarium Welcome Social Thursday, August 14th - 7:00-10:00 PM
● Night at the Alley* Friday, August 15th - 7:00-10:00 PM
● White Coat Ceremony Sunday, August 17th - 12:00 PM (students will arrive early for line-up)
● First Day of Class Monday, August 18th
*Optional events. Unlimited guests are welcome at the beach day and the Alley, but we ask that you please limit to one guest for the Aquarium Welcome Social.
Throughout the summer, be sure to check the MUSC College of Medicine website often because information will be updated on the Incoming Students section of the site (located under the Current Students tab).
You can visit this website at the following address: http://www.musc.edu/com/incoming. There is a “Things You Must Do” section on the bottom right of the page. Make sure to complete these requirements before orientation. We have included an informal list of tasks to be completed and where to find information about them. Also for any gym goers who have already relocated to Charleston, if you bring your letter of acceptance to the MUSC wellness center they will waive your activation fee and give you a discounted rate of $50/month until school starts, then it becomes free.
Feel free to contact any of us individually via email this summer if you have questions or concerns. Follow us on Twitter @MUSCOrientation or check the MUSC College of Medicine Class of 2018 Facebook page for information about upcoming summer social events. We look forward to meeting you soon!
The 2014-2015 COM Team Co-Chairs
TO BE COMPLETED OVER THE SUMMER
The required modules are:
1. Annual OSHA Mandatories: Bloodborne Pathogens
2. Annual OSHA Mandatories: Fire and Life Safety
3. Annual OSHA Mandatories: Hazardous Materials and Safety Data Sheets
4. Annual OSHA Mandatories: Hazardous Waste
5. OSHA New Hire Lesson: PPE
6. Students Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act
7. University Students – Youth & Vulnerable Populations
8. University Students HIPAA Training
Student Health Insurance
You are required to obtain health insurance coverage prior to your enrollment at MUSC. Note: if you already have insurance coverage (i.e. family plan) and don’t wish to purchase the school’s plan, then you must fill out a waiver online by July 1, 2014, or you will be charged for MUSC’s insurance plan.
Parking On Campus
If you plan on driving to campus, you need to register your car and secure a parking spot at one of the MUSC parking garages or lots. To register your vehicle and for more information about parking at MUSC, visit http://academicdepartments.musc.edu/vpfa/operations/Parking/student_svcs/#Reg
White Coat Ceremony will be Sunday, August 17th at 12:00 PM at the North Charleston Performing Arts Center – North Charleston.
Students will need to arrive early for line-up
You will receive more specific information closer to the ceremony, but here are some tips:
● Do not bring any belongings with you to the White Coat Ceremony on Sunday, August 18th at the North Charleston Performing Arts Center. Due to limited space, please leave your personal belongings at home, in your car, or with your family/friends during the ceremony.
● Attire for ladies: wear a conservative dress (knee length hemline) or pants and a dress shirt. Dark, solid colors tend to look best in photos with your white coat.
● Attire for men: wear suit pants or nice khakis, a dress shirt, and tie. Dark, solid shirt colors tend to look best in photos with your white coat.