James B. Edwards College of Dental Medicine
History of the College of Dental Medicine
In 1952, the South Carolina Dental Association sponsored a study of South Carolina's needs in dental education. The result indicated a growing need for a school of dentistry within the state and it was recommended that one be established as an integral unit of the Medical College of South Carolina. In 1953, the General Assembly of South Carolina passed an act which was signed into law, authorizing the development of a school of dentistry as part of the Medical College of South Carolina, but it was not until the 1964 session that the legislature was able to implement the 1953 authorization. At that session, the legislature passed an act providing funds for the purpose of developing a school of dentistry in association with the Medical College.
In May 1964, by action of the Board of Trustees of the Medical College, a dean was appointed for the school of dentistry. Within a short time, planning went forward on the new seven-story Basic Sciences/College of Dental Medicine Building. By using existing basic science facilities and temporary dental clinic facilities, it was possible to admit the first class of dental students on September 5, 1967. The new building was ready for occupancy in December 1970, and the first class of students graduated and received their D.M.D. degrees in June 1971. In 1969, the South Carolina Legislature authorized a name change for the Medical College of South Carolina. Henceforth, it was to be known as the Medical University of South Carolina of which the College of Dental Medicine, the College of Graduate Studies, the College of Health Professions, the College of Medicine, the College of Nursing, and the College of Pharmacy were constituent parts.