Education and Student Life News
CLARION Competition Emphasizes the Importance of Interprofessional Experiences
MUSC and Creating Collaborative Care’s fourth annual CLARION (Clinician Administrator Relationship Improvement Organization) Interprofessional Case Competition brought interprofessional teams of students together to delve into a case study of a sentinel event to find root cause analysis and provide recommendations. The objective of CLARION is to broaden the educational experience of health care students through interprofessional interaction as well as raise awareness of each profession to increase patient health outcomes.
Students from Phi Lambda Sigma Pharmacy Leadership Society and the MUSC Student Government Association worked hard to plan the competition. The Student Government Association also funded the reception that took place immediately after the event.
Four teams were under the spotlight at the finalists’ competition which took place on March 3rd, 2010. The finalist judges were: Oscar Lovelace, MD, Maralynne Mitcham, PhD and Valerie West, EdD.
All four teams did remarkably well and are listed below. The team that placed first will travel to the University of Minnesota to compete at the National CLARION Competition on April 10th. The first place prize to be won is $5,000.
First Place ($3,000)
- Amanda Cooper (Health Professions-MHA)
- Katie Herbert (Pharmacy)
- Brett Hoffecker (Medicine)
- Brianna Morabito (Pharmacy)
- Cynthia Hudson, DNSc, PHCNS, BC (Faculty Advisor)
Second Place ($2,000)
- Carrie Alderman (Pharmacy)
- Carol Brown (Pharmacy)
- Charles Darragh (Medicine)
- John Wagner (Health Professions-MHA)
- Laurine Charles, PhD (Faculty Advisor)
Third Place ($1,000)
- Tyler Ellis (Medicine, Graduate Studies)
- Diane Okpala (Pharmacy)
- Brett Shigley (Dental Medicine)
- Christine Walker (Health Professions-PT)
- Yiannis Koutalos, PhD (Faculty Advisor)
- Amanda Backus (Health Professions-MHA)
- Vidya Fleetwood (Medicine)
- Caroline Griggs (Pharmacy)
- Daniel Odongo (Pharmacy)
- DaNine Fleming, EdD (Faculty Advisor)
November 21, 2012