MUSC Bulletin | College of Health Professions
Nurse Anesthesia | Admission Requirements
Successful MSNA applicants will have:
- Graduated from an accredited baccalaureate or higher nursing program, or hold a bachelor of science degree in a basic or appropriate health sciences field.
- Academic preparation and licensure as a registered nurse (RN).
- A minimum of one year full time experience as an RN in a critical care setting (e.g., ICU, CCU, SICU, MICU, etc.) when you apply to the program.
- A minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA.
- The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is required for all applicants who have an undergraduate GPA below 3.6.The GRE must be completed within the last 5 years. The GRE is waived if you have an undergraduate GPA of 3.6 or higher or if you hold an earned master's or higher level degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Required prerequisite courses include General Chemistry, Anatomy, Physiology, Pharmacology, and Statistics. Organic Chemistry, Pathophysiology and Microbiology are recommended, but not required. A list of frequently approved prerequisites, can be found at http://www.musc.edu/es/application/fap.html.
The application checklist can be found on the MUSC Anesthesia for Nurses website http://academicdepartments.musc.edu/chp/afn/admissions.htm
Information for international applicants can be found on the MUSC Office of Enrollment Management website http://academicdepartments.musc.edu/esl/em/admissions/international.htm
Note: In addition to meeting all federal and state statutory and regulatory requirements, foreign nurses, appropriately educated and credentialed in their own country, seeking to come to the United States on Non-Immigrant Educational Visas (J-1) must demonstrate successful completion of the examination administered by the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) prior to consideration for admission into the accredited nurse anesthesia educational program. Such individuals who have not achieved licensure as registered professional nurses in the United States do not meet the eligibility requirements for admission to this program.
|Last Published with Edits:||October 1, 2013 11:35 AM|
|Last Comprehensive Review:||Fall 2013|