Enrollment Management | University Admissions
Application for the Medical Scientist Training Program (MD/PhD)
This combined degree program is designed for outstanding students who wish to become physician scientists and pursue research careers in an academic environment. The curriculum typically is completed in seven to eight years. Stipends of $27,500 per year, paid health insurance and tuition paid by a Dean's Scholarship are also provided for MSTP (MD/PhD) students. More information can be found at http://academicdepartments.musc.edu/grad/programs/md_phd_program/
Requirements can be found at http://academicdepartments.musc.edu/grad/programs/md_phd_program/application.htm
- Initial application to the MSTP at the Medical University of South Carolina involves the completion of the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) On-Line Application.
- Instruct AMCAS to forward your AMCAS application to the Medical University of South Carolina. You must select the MD/PhD Program type on your application. This application will permit you to submit essays describing your interest in the combined MD/PhD program.
- You should submit three to five letters of recommendation. These letters should come from previous or current research mentors, instructors, physicians or employers. References should come from individuals who know you well enough to comment on your education and research potential. All letters should be submitted through the AMCAS Letters (http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/amcasletters.htm). We do not accept paper recommendations.\
- We do not require the secondary application for the initial review of your application packet. You will be notified if we will require the secondary application.
- Once the AMCAS application and the letters of recommendation are received by our office, they are reviewed by the Admissions Committee for the MUSC MSTP. Applicants who are considered competitive in our applicant pool will receive an invitation by email to submit a Supplemental Application to the program. You may substitute your MD/PhD essay and research experience from your AMCAS application into the essay section of our MSTP application. We also want to know why you have chosen to apply to MUSC for the MSTP and what your career goals are. Your MSTP application will serve as the secondary application for both the Doctor of Medicine program and for the MSTP. No additional application is required to be considered for both programs. However, if you would like to also be considered for the MD only program, you must notify us of this intention.
|Start Term||Application Type||Available||Deadline|
|Fall 2017||Regular||July 1, 2016||Jan 1, 2016|
To Proceed To Online Application
If you have received an email inviting you to submit a secondary online Medical Scientist Training Program you may
|Last Published with Edits:||June 9, 2016 9:48 AM|
|Last Comprehensive Review:||June 2016|