Enrollment Management | University Admissions
Application for the Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies
The Physician Assistant is a licensed health professional qualified by specialized academic and clinical education to perform medical tasks traditionally undertaken by physicians, while practicing with the supervision and responsibility of a licensed physician. PAs provide essential diagnostic, therapeutic, preventative, and health maintenance services in both primary and specialty care settings.
Introduced into the American health care system in the mid 1960s, the physician assistant profession was developed to increase access to healthcare in areas that are medically underserved, such as rural and inner city areas. They are cost-effective, productive members of the healthcare team.
The mission of the program leading to a Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies is to educate highly competent physician assistants who are compassionate, culturally aware, and attuned to the primary health care needs of the people of SC and beyond. They will:
- provide quality, state-of-the-art, patient-centered health care as integral members of physician-led health care teams;
- contribute to the development of new knowledge to improve physician assistant education and health care;
- advocate for the physician assistant profession; and
- help meet the health needs of the larger community through education and service.
At the completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- elicit a detailed and accurate medical history, perform a complete physical examination, and appropriately record all pertinent data
- perform and interpret routine diagnostic studies
- perform or refer appropriate patient education and counseling to address health maintenance and disease prevention
- provide complete and accurate patient assessment in order to formulate an appropriate management plan in a variety of healthcare settings
- facilitate the appropriate referral of patients to address their medical and social welfare needs
Prerequisites for admission to the Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies program include; a minimum of 91 (61specified and 30 elective) transferable semester hours earned at an accredited college or university, competitive GRE scores, and a Key Math and Science grade point average of 3.0 on a 4 point scale.
Applicants must have completed 16 or more semester hours of science/math prerequisites at the time of application. All applicants who are admitted will have completed at least 1 interview. The admission interviews will be completed in early December. The deadline for receipt of a complete application and all credentials is September 15th. Additional requirements can be found at http://www.musc.edu/chp/pa/ or in the Bulletin at http://academicdepartments.musc.edu/esl/bulletin/chp/hp/pa/.
Applicants are encouraged to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) by July 1st.
In addition to the application itself the applicant must complete supplemental application materials specific to the program to which they are applying. Applicants are required to submit official transcripts from each post-secondary school attended, and all materials must be received by the application deadlines listed below. These forms are available in PDF format within the application and are also sent through email once an application is submitted. All completed forms are due by the application deadline.
|Start Term||Application Type||Available||Deadline|
|Summer 2015||Regular||July 1, 2014||Sept 15, 2014|
To Proceed To Online Application
|Last Published with Edits:||September 5, 2014 3:12 PM|
|Last Comprehensive Review:||April 2014|