Skip Navigation

MUSC Off-Campus Housing

Rental and Property Insurance

Renters Insurance

Many renters are unaware that your apartment community’s or landlord’s insurance policy does not cover your personal property when it is damaged or stolen.  Basically, your landlord's policy does not cover anything that's yours.  Not only that, but if someone is hurt while on the property you rent, you may be legally responsible for medical expenses.  For these reasons, it is wise to look into getting renters insurance.  

Renters insurance can protect your personal property/belongings at home and away from home against the following hazards:

  • Fire
  • Smoke
  • Lightning
  • Explosion or electrical surge damage
  • Falling objects 
  • Windstorm or hail 
  • Theft or vandalism
  • Other hazards detailed in your policy

Renters Insurance can even cover you for personal belongings that aren’t in the apartment or home at the time of the loss, however, renters insurance does not cover damage due to flooding or earthquakes.  (See below for more information).  Refer to your policy for details.

You should also check with your car insurance carrier as renters insurance is usually less expensive if you already have your vehicle insured with a company. Also, as a student, the least expensive way to have your rental property insured may be through your parent’s homeowner’s policy. “Rider” policies are required to specifically insure jewelry, silver, artwork, and other expensive personal property.

NOTE: Other types of policies are needed for damage/loss due to flooding (rising water) or earthquakes.  Basic renters insurance does not cover either one of these.  Flood insurance is provided by a separate policy managed by the federal government, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and is sold by individual insurance companies.  When you inquire about renters insurance, make sure to ask about different coverage plans.  Will your plan cover flood or hurricane damage?  And if so, what is the extra cost for this premium?  Earthquake insurance may also be added to your policy. 
Bottom line: Be sure that you understand your policy and have read the fine print.

For more information regarding flood insurance

The following companies offer Renters Insurance:

Allstate Insurance and Financial Services

Contact: Dennis Bailey BA, MA
Phone: (843) 486-0600 or (843) 817-8647
Minimum contents: $10,000

Allstate Insurance

Contact: Lane Tinker
Phone: (843) 763-4573
Minimum contents: $10,000

Cliff Heath Agency

Contact: Jennifer Jacinto
Phone: (843) 766-6316
Content limits from $10,000 to $40,000.

C.T. Lowndes & Company

Mt. Pleasant Office
Contact: Mike Sottile
Phone: (843) 884-3159
West Ashley Office
Phone: (843) 763-0120
Minimum contents: $10,000

Homesite Insurance

Phone: (800) 947-0713
Content limits: From $15,000 - $100,000

Met Life Financial Services

Contact: Donnell Hopkins
Phone: (843) 225-1746
Minimum contents: $15,000

Progressive Insurance

Contact: Katherine Elizabeth Betts
Phone: (800) 776-4737

Prudential Insurance

Contact: Steve Savage
Phone: (843) 899-2375.
Minimum contents: $20,000

United Casualty Insurance Company of America

Contact: Bill Broderick
Phone: (843) 766-8359
Content limits from $3,000 to $20,000. Additional burglary rider up to $10,000.

The following companies offer Property Insurance Coverage for Students:

College Student Insurance (CSI)

Phone: 1-888-411-4911

National Student Services, Inc. (NSSI)

NSSI provides Property Insurance coverage for students (such as a laptop computer, cell phone, iPod, bike, musical instrument etc).
Phone: 1-800-256-6774


© Medical University of South Carolina | Disclaimer