MUSC Student Government Association
Guidelines for Executive Office
2017-2018 MUSC STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION OFFICER ELECTION PROCESS and GUIDELINES
Thank you for your interest in the MUSC Student Government Association. The election process and campaign guidelines have been established to make the 2017-2018 elections fair to all candidates and, hopefully, to give the student body equal opportunity to become acquainted with the candidates in order to vote. All applications to run for Executive Office are due by Tuesday, February 28 at 5pm.
- Applications are due Tuesday, February 28 at 5:00 PM.
- Elections will be held from 8:30 AM on Wednesday, March 29 through 5:00 PM on Thursdsay, March 30.
- Voting will be conducted via Moodle. A voting website will be activated at 8:30 AM on Wednesday, March 29. The website will include candidates’ personal statements and photos. Voting will end at 5:00 PM on Thursday, March 30 and votes will then be tallied. The website will be secured to prevent any student from voting more than once.
- Elections will be publicized via Student Broadcast Email, Student Bulletin Boards, SGA TV, and on the SGA website. Also, please see Campaign Guidelines.
- Winners will be decided by plurality vote.
- Neizel Songalia, President of the 2016-2017 MUSC SGA, will notify all candidates of results the evening of March 30. If you are out for the evening, please leave your voice mail on for results.
- In the event of a tie, campus-wide, run-off elections shall be held until one candidate receives a plurality of votes. The Executive Council will determine dates of additional elections.
- The 2017-2018 MUSC SGA Officers will be announced via Student Broadcast Email and on the SGA website and TV.
- If you have reason to contest the election process or results, you must submit a detailed, written complaint by 5:00 PM on Friday, April 7, to the Office of Student Programs and Student Diversity. The Elections Committee will review your complaint that evening and appropriate action will be taken.
- The term of 2017-2018 MUSC SGA officers will begin on Monday, April 24.
- Candidates may not form alliances or “parties”.
- Student Broadcast email cannot be used for campaign purposes. “Stuffing” of on-campus mailboxes with flyers, campaign material, etc., is forbidden. Student Programs and Student Divesity will publish candidates’ personal statements and photographs on the MUSC SGA website.
- Posters and flyers are encouraged but should be no larger than standard poster bulletin board size (11in x 17in). Please post only one flyer or poster per bulletin board. A list of suggested publicity locations is included in this packet. Posters and flyers found in non-compliance will be removed.
- Candidates are encouraged to introduce themselves to students in the six different colleges. Contact info for student organization leaders may be found on the MUSC Student Handbook website at www.musc.edu/studenthandbook.