Student Health Services
Immunotherapy for Allergies
If you are receiving allergy injections and would like Student Health to administer them, you must provide your allergy extract, injection schedule, and instructions from your allergist.
Full-time and Part-time MUSC students who have paid the Student Services Fee may receive allergy extract injections at Student Health Services (SHS) at no charge during the Fall and Spring Semesters. Students not enrolled for Summer Semester who successfully completed Spring Semester and paid the Student Services Fee for that semester may receive allergy injections at SHS for a fee of $5.00 per visit (regardless of the number of injections administered).
- SHS does not prescribe or provide allergy extracts for immunotherapy. Students must be under the care and supervision of a private allergist.
- SHS does not initiate immunotherapy. Students must receive their first allergy extract injection under the direct supervision of their private allergist.
- Allergy extracts must be provided by the student and can be stored at SHS.
- Students must provide orders/instructions from their private allergist regarding the injection schedule for each extract.
- The Student Health Services physician must be in the office when allergy injections are administered. The SHS physician is routinely out of the office from 1:00-2:00 PM Monday-Tuesday-Thursday-Friday and from 12:00 Noon - 1:15 PM Wednesday. Students will not be given allergy injections during these times or at any time that a physician is not immediately available.
- Students must wait in the office for 20 - 30 minutes after an allergy injection for observation and treatment of possible reactions. Student Health Services closes at 4:30 PM. Therefore, allergy injections will not be administered after 4:00 PM.
- If a student develops significant reactions (local or systemic) to allergy injections during the course of immunotherapy, the student must return to the private allergist for re-evaluation and/or injections under the direct supervision of the allergist. Once the student has resumed a stable course without continued significant reactions (local or systemic) or has reached an established maintenance dose, Student Health Services will resume the administration of allergy injections with instructions provided by the private allergist.
- Students are responsible for re-ordering allergy extracts from their private allergist. Students must arrange for delivery of their extracts to their home address or pick up their extracts at their allergist's office. Student Health Services does not accept delivery of any extracts.