MUSC Intramural Sports
Captains and Players Information
The Captains’ Meeting will be held Tuesday, May 28th, 2013 at 5:15pm, in the Harper Student Center Auditorium (SW204). The Team Captain or a representative from every team is required to attend.
GAME DATES, TIMES and LOCATION
Tuesdays and Thursdays
June 4,6,11, 13, 18, 20, 25, 27
July 2, 9, 11, 16, 18, 23, 25, 30*
Game Times: 5:45:-9:45pm.
Location: HSC Wellness Center Gym
- Game schedules can be found at the following locations:
- Emailed to the captain of each team
- On the web: www.musc.edu/intramurals
- Call the Office of Student Programs, 792-2693
- Persons eligible to play MUSC Summer 5 on 5 Intramural Basketball are MUSC students and their spouses, MUSC employees, and members of the Wellness Center. Note: People who are eligible to play MUSC intramurals, but who are not MUSC Wellness Center Members are required to pay a $10.00 guest fee each time they enter to Wellness Center to play intramurals.
- Players may participate in one league only: Competitive or Non-Competitive. Teams must have at least 4 players and may be co-ed or single sex.
- Completed rosters for the first week of play are due no later than May 30th, at 3:00 pm in the Student Programs Office. Completed rosters for the remainder of the season will be accepted up through June 5th.
- Additions to rosters will be accepted through the 4th week of play (Thursday, June 27th) and must be submitted by the Team Captain by emailing email@example.com.
- If any unrostered player plays after the 4th week, all games in which he or she participates will be forfeited.
- It is the responsibility of the Team Captain to insure that any team player who is not a Wellness Center member leave the facility upon completion of their scheduled game. Any team whose player violates this rule through unauthorized use of the Wellness Center will be eliminated from the league.
- Each team is required to pay a $50 refundable registration fee. Fees are due in the Student Programs Office prior to the second game. The registration fee must be paid in cash.
- Teams will not be scheduled to play until the registration fee is paid after the first scheduled week.
- Teams completing the season without any forfeits will be refunded in full. Teams with (1) forfeit will be refunded $25. Teams which forfeit twice will lose the entire sum.
- Registration fee refunds should be picked up by the Team Captain in Student Programs within 30 days following the end of the season.
BYES and FORFEITS
- Team Captains may request a bye for a game by emailing an Intramural Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Schedules for the week are usually made Thursday prior to that week of play.
- A team may request one bye. However, due to the number of teams participating, it is likely that teams will receive more than one bye per season.
- If a scheduling conflict arises, the team captain or representative must contact an Intramural Coordinator before 9:00 p.m. 2 days prior to the game date. Conflicts will be dealt with on a case by case basis.
- A team will be eliminated from competition after two forfeits and their registration fee will not be refunded.
- In case of a team’s elimination from the league due to forfeit, a maximum of 1 player from the eliminated team may be picked up by another team. This holds true only through the 4th week of play (deadlines for adding players to rosters).
- If a team is eliminated from the league due to “non-member players’ unauthorized use of the Wellness Center”, no players from the eliminated team may be picked up by another team.
RULES of PLAY
- All games will begin no later than: 5:45, 6:45, and 7:45, and 8:45.
- Game time is forfeit time. No “grace period” will be allowed.
- 4 “rostered” players must be present to begin play.
- The game will consist of two 20 minute halves. Half time is 5 minutes.
- Two time outs per half. Clock does not stop unless during the last two minutes of the game. The referee has complete authority during the game.
- For non-competitive, two females are required to be on the court at all times
Family members or friends of Intramural players who are not members of the Wellness Center may be interested in watching a game. Spectators are welcome, but must leave the Wellness Center immediately following the game. Intramural guests found abusing the privilege of spectating will be asked to leave the Center. The team that a spectator is present to watch is responsible for their conduct and will be held responsible for their actions.
There are risks inherent in this activity. As with all other endeavors, each player is responsible for themselves and any medical expenses incurred due to an injury. Students are advised to carry their student ID and health insurance card to games in the case they need to go to Emergency Services at MUSC or another hospital.
Want to play but don’t have a team? (Or) Is your team in need of extra players? If so, sign-up or check the free agent list in the Student Programs Office. Free agents are also listed on the weekly schedule emailed each week to the team captains. Don’t let talent go to waste!