MUSC Student Programs
Student Leadership Society
All nominations and corresponding materials must be submitted, by 5 pm, EST, Friday, March 30, 2015.
Kindly, mark your calendars and plan to join us Wednesday, April 15th at 5 pm when the nominees and student organizations will be honored during the Annual Student Leadership and Service Awards Program and Reception.
The purpose of the MUSC Student Leadership Society is to recognize those students who have made notable contributions to the university through their character, service and commitment to enhancing the university environment or in their actions and activities that reflect positively on the university. Students selected for the Society personify the ideals of the University as being caring, compassionate, ethical, proficient and creative individuals who have demonstrated the qualities needed to be effective leaders and members of interprofessional teams. They may be taking their programs of study on campus or online.
Criteria for selection include evidence of:
- Having enhanced the MUSC community and its reputation through their service, activities and contributions by the example they set for others through their character, integrity and spirit of giving
- Embodying the characteristics of servant leadership including listening, empathy, awareness, persuasion, conceptualization, foresight, stewardship, commitment to the growth of others, and building community
- Commitment to working effectively with diverse groups including other health professional students
- Promoting interprofessional and interpersonal respect and understanding
- Significant accomplishments and service to university-wide or interprofessional initiatives on campus or online
- Potential for future contributions as a leader not only in their own profession, but also in the broader context of health care or biomedical research
Faculty, administrators and fellow students may nominate candidates for the Leadership Society annually. Students in any year of study may be nominated. Nominees should be in good academic standing. A nomination form must be provided with documentation requested that addresses the criteria. A two-page resume/curriculum vita is also required. Please share this communication with faculty and staff in your respective departments.
A selection committee made up of faculty, staff and administrators who serve at the university level will review nominations. Annually, six– eight students are inducted into the Student Leadership Society and awarded the Student Leadership Scholarship. This year’s recipients will receive $1,500.
Submit nominations and all materials by March 30, 2015 to:
Willette S. Burnham, PhD
Executive Director, Student Programs and Student Diversity
Assistant Professor, College of Health Professions
45 Courtenay Drive, SW 213 - MSC 974
Medical University of South Carolina
Charleston, SC 29425-9750
Tel -843-792-2693 or 2146
Fax - 843-792-0433