Writing Center Resources
The Writing Center offers individual and group tutoring as well as workshops. It is open to all MUSC students Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Services include the following:
- One-to-one writing appointments with students from any college within the Medical University to diagnose the strengths, and address weaknesses.
- A series of workshops or mini-classes on writing in any scientific discipline.
- Guest lectures on various aspects of writing (invention, arrangement, style, documentation.)
- A repository of information related to writing in the medical/science professions, professional writing books, journals, and software on writing, language, grammar, English as a Second Language.
- An in-house writing hotline for students, faculty, staff, and the community. The hotline number is 792-6390.
- A file of sample writing assignments from various courses and sample papers such as personal statements.
- A faculty resource for developing and shaping writing before publication.
The Writing Center offers FREE MacIntosh / IBM Computer use and quality laser printing at twenty fully equipped work stations. A variety of software is available including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, WordPerfect, PowerPoint (Microsoft Office 2000 for Windows / Corel WordPerfect Suite 7) and Aldus Pagemaker.
Staff assistant Bryan Moten is available for any questions or assistance you may need. Listed below are responses to frequently asked questions:
- MacIntosh computers CAN use your IBM disks.
- Students CAN print multiple copies of their documents FREE of Charge.
- Students CAN utilize the computer lab during business hours without appointments.
- We CANNOT allow outside software to be loaded on the computers.