About the MUSC Foundation for Research Development (FRD)
We are FRD, MUSC Foundation for Research Development (FRD): responsible for evaluating all intellectual assets the enterprise owns and generates, extracting value, and forging industry and other relationships resulting in products and services that provide real life solutions to the world’s medical needs. Whether translation means a technology license, research collaboration, new startup venture, or any combination, FRD serves as a dedicated one-stop shop for advancing innovation at MUSC. The organization also is dedicated to building an ecosystem of innovation whose activities contributes to MUSC’s overall economic impact on our state and country.
To facilitate the translation of all MUSC discoveries into products and services for the public’s benefit
1. To be THE service center to faculty, staff, and students for all matters related to IP
2. To create new and foster ongoing relationships with industry and other academic institutions
3. To generate revenue for FRD operations, inventors, and the University to support research, education, and patient care.
4. To be a major factor in the recruitment and retention of MUSC faculty
5. To promote regional economic growth and job creation
a) In conjunction with CIE facilitate the formation of University startups