About the MUSC Foundation for Research Development (FRD)
MUSC’s affiliated not for profit research foundation, the MUSC Foundation for Research Development (FRD) interfaces with industry in the area of technology transfer. These activities result in a contribution to MUSC’s overall economic impact for our state and nationally. Most importantly, by collaborating with industry, cutting edge discoveries have the opportunity to become real life solutions to today’s medical problems.
FRD has served as MUSC’s technology transfer office since 1995. Since inception, FRD has filed over 200 new patent applications, over 50 of which have issued, and spawned over 30 startups. MUSC startups have had product approved by the FDA, been acquired by publicly traded corporations, attracted substantial investment dollars into our state, and continue to create high paying jobs.
To facilitate the translation of all MUSC discoveries into products and services for the public’s benefit
1. To be THE service center to faculty, staff, and students for all matters related to IP
2. To create new and foster ongoing relationships with industry and other academic institutions
3. To generate revenue for FRD operations, inventors, and the University to support research, education, and patient care.
4. To be a major factor in the recruitment and retention of MUSC faculty
5. To promote regional economic growth and job creation
a) In conjunction with CIE facilitate the formation of University startups